Being Dangerously Fragile | Teen Ink

Being Dangerously Fragile

March 16, 2015
By ScarlettJ. DIAMOND, West Newton, Pennsylvania
ScarlettJ. DIAMOND, West Newton, Pennsylvania
92 articles 0 photos 88 comments

Favorite Quote:
"You are only confined by the walls you build around yourself." "Follow your heart, but take your brain with you." "You were born to be real, not to be perfect."


"Sometimes I wish I wasn't so dangerously Fragile, because I know I could be hard to handle if I wanted to be."

 

Sometimes the reflection is the mirror quivers, maybe because my shoulders are dropped, or because my chin rests on my chest as silent tears fall down through my lashes. Or maybe because the truth was so strong, so unbelievable that it was still taken as such a shock.

Could it be me, the fragile shaking woman in the mirror who is taken as such a weakling to the world? Could my weakness be considered a disgrace to my family, or to myself? Being so lifeless and pale has truly made me bitter and small compared to the greatness of the world around me.

My heart used to be one of my strongest muscles, pounding hope and tenderness through me like a drug. Getting such a healthy high off life that I really was flying above the clouds.

And on came a storm, and instead of flying, I plunged back into the darkness of the life around me. And the sinister things awaiting me in that darkness were uncompassionate towards me and my struggle, they disdained me highly.

I come to watch my reflection, and the transformation inflicts so much doubt.

Angst swims within the blue eyes of the woman, making her look weak, small. Her body shutters with jitters of fear. She had once been fearless, and showed so much heroism to those around her that young girls would look up to her with pools of envy in their eyes.

How could a human once so strong and bold be completely crippled by the harsh realities of the world around her?

And when did it become so wrong to be so weak and powerless? Being Dangerously Fragile in a world so filled with beauty and cruelity could be so confusing, and frightening.

So deceptive.