Justice Essay | Teen Ink

Justice Essay

February 27, 2015
By Sam_Lozano BRONZE, Frisco, Texas
Sam_Lozano BRONZE, Frisco, Texas
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Even today, Race plays a major part in deciding the outcome of a court trial such as stating that a african american is guilty or a white person innocent. George Zimmerman did not have the right to kill Treyvon Martin in “self defense”. He should have been put in prison for the murder of the teenager.


In February 2012 Treyvon Martin was walking through the neighborhood of The Retreat at Twin Lakes on the way home from buying juice and skittles from the local 7/11 when George Zimmerman, The organizer of the neighborhood watch program, approached him. Prior to this George Zimmerman called the police to report Treyvon as a suspicious person when he was just walking home from the store. George was ordered not to approach him by the police however he did anyway. There is no hard evidence of the conflict but the police believe that George initiated the fight but began to lose. He took out his sidearm he was carrying and shot Treyvon, who died from his wounds.


George Zimmerman did not have the right to kill Treyvon Martin even in self defense. First of all Treyvon had no weapons on his person and the only “suspicious” acts he was doing was walking through a neighborhood. Second of all This was not George Zimmerman’s first offense. Prior to the killing of Treyvon Martin he has had 2 cases of domestic violence and he also pushed a alcohol control agent. After the events of February 2012 he was prosecuted for road rage. Also he initiated the fight by approaching him even though being told not to by police. These past offenses and evidence from police show that George Zimmerman is dangerous and careless and should be put in prison for the murder of the 17 year old Treyvon Martin.


Some may say that Zimmerman had the right to kill the 17 year old boy because his own life was in danger but this is wrong because he initiated the brawl. Also he could've used his firearm in a way to threaten the teenager or if he was forced  to,wound him. Zimmerman’s life was not that much in danger ; by the end of the fight he only had a bloody nose and a scratch on the back of his head. This is not a reason to end someone's life and stop them from growing up and becoming a useful member of society.


George Zimmerman did not have the right to murder Treyvon Martin and should be put in prison for >5 years  for his crimes. The judicial systems lack of prosecution of George Zimmerman shows how racism is still  present in the deciding of verdicts in the court today.