Is the Internet Controlling Us? | Teen Ink

Is the Internet Controlling Us?

February 26, 2015
By Anonymous

For many people, their main source of information is non-printed media. Whether it be from a television, a computer, or radio, it is now not very common for people to receive newspapers or other print media. A survey by the America Press Institute shows that nearly 90% of questioned adults received their news from a television and 70% said they received news on a laptop or computer. That means that out of the 1,492 adults surveyed, 1,343 got their news from the television and 1,044 learn about the news on computers. Compared to these large numbers, only around 800 still used paper newspapers and magazines.


But what do these numbers mean? First of all, the number of adults using the internet in this 2013 survey was only 63%, 7% less than 2014 figures, meaning that the number of adults relying on the internet and television is increasing. These numbers are also showing us that something far more dangerous is coming. Knowing that most people believe what they see on news shows or websites, it is easily possible for one of these websites to upload a false story that could lead to virtually anything that is possible for mankind.


A false incriminating report about a government official could make people take action to remove that official, or do something even worse. If other websites start to realize that a false story is popular, they would also show this story, causing the amount of people to believe in the subject to increase greatly. One person’s opinion published somewhere on the internet could be the talk of many people for weeks. This just shows how influential television channels and websites are and how much power this technology has over what people know and what people think.
We, as people, rely too much on the internet and television and for some, going on the internet has become as common as eating food. If people continue to rely on the internet and television, then people would start to lose their touch with nature and other people and they will begin to forget why they are here.