Are Puppy Mills Safe for Dogs? | Teen Ink

Are Puppy Mills Safe for Dogs?

February 16, 2015
By Gek20 BRONZE, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
Gek20 BRONZE, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
Writers block is when your imaginary friends stop talking to you.


Puppy Mills are not safe for dogs because they are treated terrible and a lot of dogs die from being in puppy mills. Puppy mills are not a new problem, they have been in business for a long time. If puppy mills continue the dogs will continue to be treated poorly and die because of the little attention they get, and if they do get attention it’s usually negative. Some people say that puppy mills are fine, they aren’t treating the dogs badly. A lot of people say that puppy mills are terrible and they should be stopped because the dogs are going to overpopulate because of the mass breeding. I think that puppy mills are absolutely terrible because the dogs are treated terrible and female dogs are forced to breed over and over again and once they can't anymore they leave them to die or kill them. Puppy mills are not safe for dogs because the dogs receive little or no veterinary care, the dogs live in terrible conditions, and the female dogs are forced to breed many times.  
  

       Puppy Mill dogs receive little or no veterinary care so lot’s of the dogs are injured. Even if the dogs are sick and dying, they receive no veterinary care. According to “www.aspca.org/fight-cruelty/”, “The dogs finally received the care they desperately needed; many of them were found covered in mold and matted fur, suffering from infection, dental disease and various other ailments.” ASPCA is an organization that helps to rescue dogs and take care of them and give them new homes, this evidence is from when they rescued a lot of dogs from a puppy mill. Many dogs at puppy mills are dying because of injuries or starvation and even over breeding and are still not cared for, just the thought of seeing that sickens me. According to “www.cesarway.com/dog-rescue/”, “Animals suffer from malnutrition or starvation due to unsanitary food and water. Sick or dying animals receive little or no veterinary care.”. This website has an abundance of articles that make you think about puppy mills. If the dogs are adopted at  pet store from a puppy mill they are going to have health problems in the future because they weren’t treated before. Not only are the dogs not treated for injuries, but they also live in a terrible condition.

   

     Puppy mill dogs live in terrible conditions all year round which means they endure extreme heat, and extreme cold. According to “nopetstorepuppies.com/puppy-mills-are-cruel”, “ The cute puppies for sale at your local mall were probably bred from dogs who don’t play outside or get groomed, puppy mill dogs are typically kept in cages with wire flooring that injures their paws and legs-and cages can be stacked up in columns(which means waste falls on the dogs below them.” This website has very good articles and makes you think about how bad puppy mills really are. Puppy mills are sometimes kept outdoors which means that the dogs go through serious weather conditions such as, snow, ice, rain, and very hot temperatures with no stable shelter. Puppies at puppy mills basically sit in their own urine and feces because no one cleans their cages. Their cages are made out of wire so their nails and hair get caught in the cages and if the cages are stacked the unlucky dogs on the bottom get a surprise falling onto them. According to “ezinearticles./com/?pet-adoption”, “The living conditions are so poor(multiple animals confined to one small area, little or no grooming, and little food) that the animals often develop health problems early on”. I have gotten many other pieces of evidence from this website and they really prove a point about how puppy mills are not safe for dogs. Many dogs can be shoved into one tiny cage and have to share one little bowl of food that is contaminated. Not only do the dogs live in terrible conditions, but the female dogs are also forced to breed many times.

       Female dogs at puppy mills are forced to breed many times in order to keep the puppy mills “stocked”. When a female dog at a puppy mill gives birth many times it is making them not as healthy. While a dog is at a puppy mill it could give birth at least seven times! According to “ezinearticle./com/?pet-adoption”, ““The female dogs are often forced to breed at every heat cycle, taking a toll on the health of the mother and the litter.”. This website is credible because it has a lot of good information. Breeding at a puppy mill is especially bad because the mother has to nurse the puppies and then she can’t regain any more nutrients because of the lack of food and water. When female dogs in puppy mills are no longer to reproduce, they are tossed aside. According to “ nopetstorepuppies.com/puppy-mills-are-cruel”, “When after a few years, the females can no longer reproduce or when their breed goes out of “style”, the dogs are often abandoned, shot, or sometimes starved until they eventually die.”. I continue to use this site because it is reliable and has great pathos evidence. There are many sad, true stories about unfortunate events that happen poor puppies that come from puppy mills, here is one from “www.carez.com/causes/rescuing-eve-a-puppy-mill-story-html”. “On February 20th Eva was ready to be spayed. This was the next step in helping her find a new home. But the simple surgery didn’t go well and Eva began to bleed badly. The lining of her uterus had become too thin because she had been over-breed. The boxer was rushed to an emergency clinic where they had to pump out the blood from her abdomen.” This true story shows that a lot of dogs are over-bred like Eva and we do nothing to try to stop puppy mills, here is another short story from “www.concordmonitor.com”. “Recently the cancer caught up with Latte again, and her health and spirit quickly took a downward turn. X-rays showed that the cancer had spread to several of her organs- the result of all those years of breeding. She died on May 22nd.” This story shows that the dogs that are over bred can have major health problems in the future. There are so many reasons why puppy mills are not safe for dogs, and a lot of dogs are suffering right now, we need to do something about these terrible puppy mills.

   

    As we filter this abundance of evidence we learn how badly dogs are treated in puppy mills. These three reasons why puppy mills are not safe for dogs prove what I am trying to say, puppy mills are absolutely terrible for puppies! Those sad, yet true stories that I shared with you a little while back have shown that puppies are over bred, receive little or no veterinary care, and live in horrible conditions. Think about those sad dogs squashed in those tiny crates with no food or water and no socialization with humans. Just think that the dogs are in those cages 24 hours a day, seven days a week with constant exposure to weather conditions.  Don’t buy dogs from pet stores, you are simply giving more money to the horrible puppy mills. So please remember to take action and help stop puppy mills!