Silence on Violence | Teen Ink

Silence on Violence

By LizzK PLATINUM, Sullivan, Wisconsin
LizzK PLATINUM, Sullivan, Wisconsin

On behalf of us all, I want to tell you I am sorry.

We were born out of recklessness, out of passion and fire in a time of violence, but we had no say in the matter.  We cannot choose who creates us or what we are born as, but I am certain if given the choice, this is not what we would have picked.

It isn't easy growing up in a world like this, where suffering becomes dinner conversation and children are numb to the plight of others.  Everyone is signed in, yet no one is really connected.  There is a distance between worlds that technology cannot bridge.

I myself come from a middle class family.  I was born in a building where hundreds of others were born right beside me, each nearly identical, yet destined for different paths.  Some will live quiet lives in sedate suburban homes where violence and chaos are mere media fodder while others will face it toe to toe - they will look it in the eye.  Some may even cause it by no real fault of their own - they are a victim of circumstance, they are a direct result of whoever takes them home.

A lot of the blame is placed on our shoulders.  They say we are dangerous, they say we will be the downfall of society, but I disagree.  I hear the protests and the arguments, I hear the generation that made us what we are badmouth their own creation.  How is it fair to demonize what your own two hands brought to life?

I wish I had never existed.  It is a selfish, angst-riddled thing for me to say, but I mean it none the less.  It seems that I will meet one of two fates: be hidden away from the realities, or find myself in the middle of them.  I cannot decide which is worse: I find no solace in naivety.

So here is where I will stay, tucked away behind a locked door until circumstance comes to call, although if I had it my way, I'd remain here in the dark forever.  I know it's just a game of timing - eventually a hand will pull me from this safe and unleash me on the world.  What a terrible thing to watch in helplessness.  What an injustice it is to be an accessory to murder in absolute silence.

What I mean to say is that you are fast to judge us, yet we do not pull our own triggers.  It takes a hand and a decision to fire us, which we do not have a say in.  But again I will apologize on behalf of us all, for it's all we can do.  Perhaps someday our side of the story will be seen, and we will all be buried deep in the ground.  Perhaps.