Two Ways of Seeing One | Teen Ink

Two Ways of Seeing One

By Jenniferlim BRONZE, Buenos Aires, Other
Jenniferlim BRONZE, Buenos Aires, Other

That little girl was swinging herself so gently and so happily on the swing, as her legs went back and forth, pushing herself closer and closer to the bright morning sky. So close that if she extended her arm, it looked like she would be able to touch the puffy white clouds. Her hair swayed as the wind blew against her face, and her sweet little voice filled the whole scene. It’s beautiful how a simple swing can make someone so happy. And as I observed the little girl’s smile I thought about how kids get so happy about simple things that don’t matter much, and wonder why adults don’t become easily happy as kids do. That day looked especially beautiful, the pine trees seemed to be bigger and they seemed to release a stronger fresh smell than usual. I turned my eyes toward a group of ants below me moving from one side to the other, carrying small pieces of plants on top of their heads. I removed my feet from the ground and carefully observed an extremely long line of hard working ants as they went around in order, one behind the other, and I wondered how all this effort they were putting in would later turn into their home and wondered the satisfaction they might feel.

I went outside to the park to get some fresh air, and to have some time to organize my thoughts. I sat down on the bench near the playground and observed an obnoxious little girl swinging herself on the swing, oh, she incredibly bothered me. The swing made a squeaky sound as she rocked back a forth that made me cringe, and her giggles made me feel as if she too was laughing at me. Her hair swung back and forth, flying and moving everywhere as if it didn’t find its right place. She went higher, and higher on the swing, her little legs rocking back and forth, and her arms stretched as if she could reach the clouds she will never in her life be able to feel. The pine trees looked particularly big today, as if they were fighting each other to gain more possession of land, and the strong smell they released gave me a headache. Then, an army of ants below me caught my attention. As I looked close, I observed the conceited queen ant walking in front of the line carrying nothing but her pride, and the other smaller ants forcedly carrying heavy plants on top of their hands, stumbling in every step they took.