Back to an Unfamiliar Place | Teen Ink

Back to an Unfamiliar Place

Going to a different country is something I think everyone should do. A lot of people might say why would I want to do that, I am fine where I am. It is always good to look at different cultures and how life is somewhere else. In my case I went to Mexico, I went to where I was born. I haven’t gone back since I was two years old so I didn't really know what to expect but when I did get there it was amazing.

When I got to Mexico I couldn't even believe I was even there. I got to my grandma's house at about seven thirty so when we arrived she gave us a caldo de pollo which is chicken soup. The food in Mexico is better because you don't have to wait weeks to sell the meat, and in Mexico you can get meat the day after so it’s fresh. When I was there I got to make taco on a food cart that belonged to my grandfather. Just the fact that it was his and he used it to sell tacos is something no other dish even comes close to. Plates of food aren't my favorite thing to eat in Mexico for me my kryptonite would be snacks that people sell on food carts. I mean there are food carts in the U.S. but most of them are decent at best because the food is just thrown together and their like here you go, but in Mexico the food is hand made so it’s more homey than the U.S. food carts.

The food isn't the only great thing about Mexico another thing is that you can go to the plaza and find just about anything you want to but the stuff worth getting are at only certain times of the year. Like stuff from la dìa de los muertos which is the day of the dead. The day of the dead is when we celebrate the people that you have lost. The cool thing about this day is the decorations that people use. You can buy these little dolls that are skeletons and have a normal body which is what makes them look so unique. Other things people get at the shops are toys which may sound like something that isn't so special, but what makes these toys special is that they are handmade so even if you get two of the same toys they won’t feel the same. Like you could buy two bows and one will feel harder to pull and the grip will feel different in your hand.

The part of Mexico where I live looks extremely different from where I live now. The houses here are spaced out with a front yard and a back yard. The houses in Mexico are close together most are connected to each other. For the most part they are small and have one level. The inside of the houses are made of concrete. They don’t have dry wall or hard wood floors; for the most part it’s just concrete or tile floors. But the thing I do miss is the water pressure. The water pressure is low in Mexico due to it being mountains and valleys. So when you’re on the roof of a taller house you can see how the roofs of the houses don’t align because they are built on uneven ground. Unlike here in the U.S for the most part the roads are level.

All these things add up to an experience that is just to me unbeaten by anything else you could experience. The atmosphere there was so different from the U.S. it felt like an actual place. Everything wasn't already made for you and things were made out of real materials and they didn't feel like a toy. So I would go back as soon as I could. But I don’t know when I will go back whether it is this summer or next summer I will be happy to be there.