Embryonic Stem Cells | Teen Ink

Embryonic Stem Cells

September 7, 2014
By poojasree45 GOLD, San Ramon, California
poojasree45 GOLD, San Ramon, California
13 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"Thats the thing about pain, it demands to be felt."


Embryonic Stem Cell (ESC) research is a highly controversial and debated topic in today’s political and science worlds. I believe that ESC research is a great thing that can do much good for us as a state, nation and race. It should be allowed because it is highly capable of curing many diseases, is morally correct and is far more effective than the use of Adult Stem Cells (ASC). In the following few paragraphs I will explain to you why the use of ESCs is such an advantage.

If ESC research is allowed we can cure many diseases and disabilities such as Parkinson's disease, traumatic spinal cord injury, diabetes, heart disease, Duchenne's muscular dystrophy, and hearing and vision loss. (What are embryonic cells?) If there is a possibility to cure so many diseases and help so many people that are suffering, shouldn’t we welcome it with open arms? The answer is yes, we should. The moment we begin ESC research we are one step closer to saving many lives. This is a scientific revolution that can help our species stay healthy and we should be researching it openly.

Another heated topic of discussion is whether ESC usage is morally correct or not. ESC research is completely moral for two main reasons. First, if the embryo is unwanted by its possible parents then there is no problem in using it for research. Second, there are always more than enough embryos made in the labs to increase the chances of survival. Also, these extras are either sent away to be stored, used for research or are thrown away. In the last twenty years there have been 1.7 million embryos thrown away. If throwing embryos away is okay, then so is using them for research. (1.7 million Embryos…) Now, you might be thinking that using the embryos is murder. The usage of embryos is not murder because to have any rights as a potential human, the embryo must be inserted into a woman.(Stem Cell Research) Lastly, if it is okay to have an abortion, then it is morally right to use embryos to help cure other human beings.

Another question you may have is, why even use ESCs when we can use ASCs? Well, the problem with ACSs is that they are harder to gather and are not pluripotent. Pluripotent means that the stem cell can become any cell in the body. ESCs on the other hand are pluripotent and are much more versatile.(Stem Cell Basics) Also, the usage of ASCs in bone marrow transplants has killed 3,629 people in a mere 4 years.(Thousands of adult stem cell…) This is just one example of the many problems and deaths that ASCs cause. For this reason and many others, we should be researching ESCs.

Clearly, ESC research should be allowed because it can cure deadly diseases, is morally correct and is far more effective than ASCs. America should be exploring this topic and taking advantage of this medical miracle. As we research this fascinating topic, we will find miraculous cures to deadly diseases and disabilities. The use of ESCs can be the solution to our many health issues.