Are You A Super Hero? | Teen Ink

Are You A Super Hero?

By guard-girl GOLD, Clover, South Carolina
guard-girl GOLD, Clover, South Carolina

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not depend on your own understanding. Seek His will in all you do, and he will show you which path to take."
Proverbs 3:5-6

I didn’t grow up on heroes like Superman, Batman, Wolverine, the Avengers, and others. I grew up on Disney princesses. It wasn’t until I became a teenager that I picked up my Dad’s old comic books and started reading. However, when I was reading, I noticed two things that almost all of the heroes had: being willing to sacrifice their lives for others, and changing others lives in some way, be it big or small. When I went back and reread the same comic books, I started asking myself this question:

Would I do that?

Now, those stories may not be real, but they have an element of truth in them. Even though I doubt anyone can actually fly, run really fast, heal themselves, make things float, bend metal, or read minds, super heroes exist today.

All you need to be a super hero are the two things I mentioned earlier: Being willing to sacrifice your own life for someone, or to make an impact on someone’s life in some way, even if it’s small. I can name some people in everyday society that do at least one every day, like policemen, firefighters, doctors, nurses, the military, even teachers. For us teens, whose major job is going to school, you don’t have to have an adult job like that to make a difference in someone's life. No matter how small that difference is, someone will notice. Like ripples in the water, our actions can cause changes in people. Even though we can’t fly, control weather, are super strong, or can turn invisible, we can be superheroes, too. The question is this:

Would YOU do that?

You are a superhero, and YOU have the power to change the world.

I believe that we don't have to be older than eighteen to make a difference, no matter how small those changes are.  

on Aug. 29 2015 at 2:36 am
SkippyPeanutbutter SILVER, Utrecht, Other

"Happiness can be found, even at the darkest of times. If one only remembers to turn on the light." -Albus Dumbledore
"We're all stories in the end. Just make it a good one, eh?" -the Eleventh Doctor

I liked this (although I believe Disney princesses can also teach the same values haha). you ave a simple writing style but it works really nicely for you. Good job and keep up the good work!

guard-girl GOLD, Clover, South Carolina

Proverbs 3:5-6

Thank you! I agree with you, and I just realized that I didn't mention anything about our choices! Thank you for bringing that up! :)

on Aug. 31 2014 at 1:15 am
EmilytheBelleofA. DIAMOND, Athens, Georgia

To love is to be vulnerable; Triumph is born out of struggle; We notice shadows most when they stand alone in the midst of overwhelming light.

Very true, very true. And I don't mean to sound bragging or anything, but I have two of those things: being willing to sacrifice my own life for people and my one, big family, and wanting to make an impact on someone's life, whether small or big. Our descisions, our choices, what we do is what shapes the universe too. What we do matters. Our actions have ripples, like you said. We are all here for a reason. We are all super heroes. Thank you for sharing this! Thank you so much. I love this, for it is very well-written, full of depth, full of raw emotion, and full of light and you. Thank you, again for sharing this.