Inevitable Expectations | Teen Ink

Inevitable Expectations

By young9012 BRONZE, Henderson, Nevada
young9012 BRONZE, Henderson, Nevada

There is only one happiness in this life, to love and be loved.
-George Sand

Life. It's inevitable if you're reading this. The simplicity of a heartbeat with blood running through the veins of the human body, is complicated with expectations. It's pretty easy you see. The only obligation of a human is to keep their heart pumping blood and lungs inhaling oxygen and exhaling Co2. The life of humans is only seemed difficult by other human beings, creating a standard that we all naturally live by. From the moment we are born, there stands the presumption of growth and potential. Our parents have wanted us to succeed in life since we were born. They look into our eyes as they grasp us in their loving arms, truly believing that we will outstand other kids of our generation as we grow in size and knowledge. Success: reaching an aim or purpose. Why has the abstract idea of success start to concretely mean more than an accomplishment of a goal? Our idea of success has become so numb to one assumption that it has turned into a chain reaction. It is looked down upon if you do not meet the standards that we have created upon ourselves. Success, according to dictionary, is the favorable or prosperous termination of attempts or endeavors; the accomplishment of one's goals. The existence of us has had the idea of success lingering through the lead of our pencils. Before deciding what path to take, there is a consideration of what will bring the most success. In the back of our mind, or the prefrontal cortex, the decision that is about to be made is reflected upon first. This inevitability of expectations makes our lives more difficult. We don't have to reach for the standard meaning of success, because in their minds, success is sometimes what they want, and not what we want in life. Instead of shooting for the plain meaning of success, try going for the inevitable victory of doing what you love.