The Internet: A New Drug | Teen Ink

The Internet: A New Drug

By Plasmatime BRONZE, Syo, New York
Plasmatime BRONZE, Syo, New York

Cocaine kills about 10,000 people a year per year. Almost 50,000 people die from alcohol poisoning. 400,000 people are subjects of tobacco death. However, out of the one billion internet users, how many are actually killed? Probably none. The internet is a unique mechanism that humans have created for themselves. We use it to find resources, write our papers, and search for jobs. However, unfortunately, there are many people out there who simply abuse themselves constantly by wasting their precious lives on hours of gaming, Facebooking, tweeting, and chatting with others. While a good half hour on the internet may do little to no harm, once you reached the breakpoint of three hours, you’ve lost yourself. And it’s hard to get out. I am a victim myself. What we, as humans, have to realize is that addiction is addiction; regardless of what kind of drug you take. Once you’re addicted to a single thing, whether it may be alcohol or a video game, you’ve lost yourself completely. You tend to find every excuse to get a “high”, even if it is checking Facebook every few minutes. There honestly is no way to describe it. It’s like an amplified “I want that” feeling. Some advice is listed below.

Manage your time efficiently. This piece of advice is honestly the best any one could give you. It applies to all areas of your life. If you schedule your day, then this gives you the opportunity to actually get things done. For example, you save time for exercise, studying, playing an instrument, and recreation. This way is the best way to get rid of internet addiction or simply prevent it from happening in the first place.

Find other ways to fulfill your desire. Perhaps finding a sport to play or a project to dedicate yourself to, you could use this way to efficiently make productiveness out of your wasted time from before.

Thinking about your future. Much of my work has been written to advise high school students, like myself, to find success. If you get a moment where you realize that you’ve wasted literally weeks and months on social media and games, and you make a change in your life, then good for you. If you haven’t, please realize that you are wasting your days as a high school student, which are pivotal for your future – college, a job, and family. Don’t waste your days – they won’t come back to you and you don’t want to regret the decisions you made when you’re 40.

I hope the readers of this post learn the importance of time management and don’t get trapped by any kind of addiction, especially the internet. However, I continue to write this article to be posted on the internet, and have a few tabs open titled “Facebook”, “Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia”, and “YouTube”. Please manage your time wisely folks.