You Matter | Teen Ink

You Matter

July 31, 2014
By Siana PLATINUM, Escondido, California
Siana PLATINUM, Escondido, California
36 articles 0 photos 5 comments

A broken whisper echoed off the walls of my bedroom as the words floated through the air, “Does it really matter whether I am here or not?”

The answer is simple: yes.




There are too many people today who underestimate themselves. Their esteem is plummeting through the floorboards, their confidence striking the ground with great exertion. There are plenty of people whose minds are tainted by their own thoughts, who have questioned whether or not their existence matters.



Go up to a mirror. Look at your reflection. Take it in, soak in your presence. You are precious. You are important. You are loved, and wanted, and needed. You are the only you in this universe; why are you wasting so much time loathing and questioning who you are? Think about it like this—a minute spent is a minute that you can never, ever take back. Have you spent a minute cringing at a mirror? Have you spent sixty seconds criticizing who you are? Have you wasted a cluster of moments on deprecating thoughts? If so, you can never get that minute back. Why would you waste any more time on meaningless lies that bounce through your head?



Look down at your skin. Take it in, soak in your presence. Run your fingers over your arms, legs. Analyze your fingerprint. Nobody in the world has that exact same marking as you. If you weren’t here, who would have such an idiosyncratic characterization? No one would.



Your existence matters. You, darling, you matter. Although it may not seem like it, perhaps you are the reason somebody else is still here, still existing. Maybe you are the smile on someone else’s face, the blood that runs through their veins, the skeleton that holds them together. Maybe you’re the strength that somebody else needs and, if you weren’t here, how would they continue to be strong?



Your mind is wonderful. The ideas that are spinning in your brain, taking root in your mind, are magnificent. Take it in, soak in your presence. What if you hold the cure for cancer in your beautiful mind? What if philosophical words of wisdom are taking refuge in your lungs? What if a great amount of love, or kindness, or another amazing attribute is hidden inside of you? If you weren’t here, what would happen to all of the glorious things that are within you? Nothing.


Does it really matter whether you are here or not?



Yes. You have infinites inside of you, planets orbiting through your veins, epiphanies waiting to emerge. You matter. You are what matters. You are here for a reason. You were put on this earth for a reason.


Take it in, soak in your presence; you matter.