Beauty and the Brain | Teen Ink

Beauty and the Brain

By Tanner_J_Smith BRONZE, Oro Valley, Arizona
Tanner_J_Smith BRONZE, Oro Valley, Arizona

If you looked into a morgue and saw me passing a brain and other organs around with my classmates you probably wouldn't recognize me as a teen model, you would
think that I was just your average nerd. As a fitness model and aspiring doctor, I prefer to learn about the body from the inside out. I know what you're thinking, I'm
not your typical fourteen year old. Guess what? You're right. As a fourteen year old I have completed three years of chemistry, physics, and biology along with a Pre-
med program through the University of Arizona Medical Center. Some have asked, "Wouldn't you rather be shopping, reading fashion magazines, or just being a regular
teen girl?" My answer is always the same, "Who says you have to choose? I am passionate about all of those things." Girls shouldn't be afraid to demonstrate their
intelligence. Intelligence is something to embrace and display. Who says you can't be smart and beautiful? Movies and TV shows broadcast that popular and pretty
female characters to appear ditzy and dumb. Some examples of this are: Cher in Clueless, Elle Woods in Legally Blonde, and Karen Smith in Mean Girls.

Every girl should be confident about their appearance and their intelligence. I've read some of the feminist articles downplaying beauty to focus only on intelligence.
Again, why would you have to choose? Just because you are intelligent doesn't mean you can't display your beauty or embrace your sense of style.

If people don't like you the way that you are, that is okay. You shouldn't have to pretend to be someone that you're not.