Individualism is needed. | Teen Ink

Individualism is needed.

By ChiLe BRONZE, Hanoi, Other
ChiLe BRONZE, Hanoi, Other

''Passion is the genesis of genius.'' Galileo Galilei

IT IS CALLED: “LITERATURE SUBJECT”.
This article is totally sort of nonfiction. I will tell you about how Literature functions around here. Well, guess where it is?
All schools in this place follow one special curriculum. Students don’t have the right to choose subjects they like because they need to study all compulsory subjects. Every subject goes well but Literature. It is undeniable that in this subject, learners have to learn a number of poems, short stories and novels written by ancient professional writers. Before joining Literature class, kids need to bring their textbooks, notebooks and homework assignments. The day before having Literature, they are forced to prepare for new lessons. Instead of putting their thoughts on papers and analyzing new lessons, pupils love using reference books or old generation’s past preparation. They figure out that even when they put hard into preparation for literature, their teachers still complain about their efforts due to the shortage or “silly” ideas of their homework.
Alright, the class begins.
Whenever the bell rings to announce the beginning of Literature class, students feel like suddenly they are having mood swings. Their tasks at Literature class include: hearing and writing, writing and hearing. Yeah, that’s all.
It is the fact that their comments, reviews related to lessons and authors are never respected or even considered. Teachers in this place strongly against students’ opinions but, ridiculously, they are always keen on asking students’. Brilliant students give unique comparison between characters or ideal conclusions which never exist on any pages or any literary critics’ blogs. However, the teachers are totally obsessed with standard system. What I mean is that maybe every teacher in this place has their own common materials or documents written by some prominent literary professors hundreds years ago. Almost all of the students believe that because their different teachers have the same thoughts or lectures. Hence, the teachers don’t allow their pupils to show their personal ideas except that they express “right comments” which appear in standard system. Unfortunately, multiple courageous students who can write their personal opinions on tests instead of learning by heart teachers’ lectures usually receive bad results with their scores ranging from 40 to 50/100. They feel stressed and bored of this subject. They claim that their personal feelings about novels or poems are more amazingly superb than “feelings-essays in standard system”. The craziest thing that happens to the students is the topic of exams. It is true that all topics include this phrase: “Tell me about YOUR FEELINGS about…/tell me about YOUR COMMENTS on…” but students have to write the whole lecture of their teachers.
Here is one example:
-
Two simple sentences written in textbook:
“Troy is a doctor. He is riding a bike.”
-
Task for students:
“Write something to show your personal feelings/comments on these sentences. What is the message of the sentences?”
-
Confident student’s answer:
“Troy is such a good doctor. He is cycling because he understands that it helps him get vim and vigor. I want to be as strong as him. He helps me realize the benefit of cycling.”
-
Teacher’s answer – spread on the last lecture:
“Troy is a wonderful person. When the sun rises in the east and sets in the west, Mr.Troy rides a bike in order to look beautiful landmarks around him. Sitting on the bike, he feels really motivated to keep on working because this is a chance for him to observe average people’s daily life. Besides, Troy has ability to feel the beauty…”
-
Teacher’s comments on student’s answer:
“You are wrong.” “Your answer lacks detail.”
-
Confident student’s reply:
“Sorry teacher but I think Mr.Troy may feel highly surprised after reading your answer due to your imagination.”