Social Media or Social Massacre? | Teen Ink

Social Media or Social Massacre?

By rebeccavargas2016 BRONZE, Ocala, Florida
rebeccavargas2016 BRONZE, Ocala, Florida

Those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

To the teens who are struggling with making the right decisions in life but are dying to fit in, to the ones who feel inadequate - not because their walk with God has come to a stop but because their Instagram likes have, to the young adults looking to the corrupt world and social media to fill their emptiness: you are not alone.

Yet, have you ever noticed that despite the constant likes, comments, tags, and inboxes we receive on our social networking sites every minute… we still feel alone and emptier than ever? That’s what social media does. It promises you a fulfillment that includes endless friends and popularity but as soon as you log off, your distorted view of “happiness” is gone.

Being a teenager myself, I struggle with this battle every day. Look at any teen’s smartphone or iPod and you’ll probably see a screen full of social media apps, their colorful logos taunting us. Some teens may have a Bible app, but we all know which ones get opened more. I have asked myself “How am I supposed to communicate and bond with other teens without logging on to Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Kik, Snapchat, or any other social networking site? How am I supposed to know the latest news or be involved without posting or liking a status, tweet, or selfie?” We simply feel like nobodies if we aren’t plugged in. We believe we are defeated and think “If you can’t beat ‘em, join ‘em”. From there we begin the downward spiral of “Look at everything I have going for me” to “Who am I anymore?”.

Having had past social media accounts, I’ve come to the realization that the profiles we teenagers create are in fact not profiles at all. They are masks. We can choose to be anyone we want, except ourselves, because we are convinced being ourselves just isn’t good enough. Social networking gives us the opportunity to be one person in public, yet a completely different one online. Before writing this, I browsed the profiles of a few people I’ve recently spent time with. The photos and statuses I saw were not at all how I viewed them as people when interacting one-on-one. It was as if they were split into two opposite sides and I spent time with their funny, insightful halves while their confused, society-based halves went to work on their social media accounts. I was getting to know their true identities while their countless followers and subscribers were getting to know their false ones.

If I could sum up in one word what teens are doing on social media, it would be “acting”. In fact, I just pulled out a dictionary and dusted it off to find the exact definition. It states that acting is “temporarily assuming the duties or authority of another.” In other words, pretending to be someone you’re not. Sounds awfully familiar. And the longer teenagers continue to “act” on these social networking sites, the easier it is to become the person they are pretending to be. The masks become permanent. The societal influences become unbearably strong.

Teenagers nowadays already face enough pressure and temptation as it is without the negative pulls from social media. These sites just add fuel to the fire. I’ve found that the most “popular” photos posted by teens are the ones in which they are being defiant and provocative. These pictures often consist of underage drinking and smoking, partying with so called “friends”, wearing revealing or little clothing, making obscene gestures, and participating in sexual acts, all in an attempt to receive wanted attention. It’s almost as if social networking has become a game where we try to figure out what we can post that will get a rise out of others and get us noticed. We display our problems, instead of fixing them.

We take the easy road and slide on our masks, conform to the ways of the world, snap as many raunchy photos as possible, and share them with our followers and subscribers because we believe it’s what makes us popular. Then we pull our masks off, stare into the mirror, and we feel naked. We feel empty. Disgusting, even. The high we felt while our photos and statuses got likes upon likes is now gone. And reality sets in. Reality that we’ve lied to ourselves and to everyone around us. We’re able to register that what we’re doing isn’t really who we are, not even who we wish to be, but the constant craving of acceptance that social media supplies fills our head with the belief it’s okay to do what we’re doing. But it’s not okay, not at all and when you finally realize this, you can see you’ve been walking down the Devil’s path all along. Stop walking, turn around, and run. Run back to God! Take off your masks and throw them away for good, before it’s too late and they become permanent.

Stop polluting your mind and heart with social media and the ways of society. Stop putting yourself in danger. If you haven’t noticed, the majority of posts from teens on social networking sites do not coincide with the Word of God. We cannot have this unfiltered media in our lives. You are turning away from Him and when you stray away, you will incur damage. This delusional fantasy we have of happiness and popularity from social media isn’t true. It’s all a lie. You have been fooled. Doesn’t that bother you? Doesn’t it frustrate you that you have to act like someone you’re not to be accepted by people who haven’t even figured themselves out yet?!

Teenagers everywhere, we’re all in the same boat here! We are all sinking and we’re all going to drown if we don’t take God’s lifejacket and put it on. Instagram is not going to get you into the college of your choice. Twitter isn’t going to land you your dream career. Facebook isn’t going to teach you how to succeed in life. None of these are going to prepare you for the real world. The only thing they will honestly bring is misguidance and misery. Social networking is damaging us.

I challenge you: break free from the chains these social media sites have cast upon you. Interact with friends and family face-to-face, not behind a computer or phone screen. Quit worrying about Facebook relationship statuses and work on a real relationship with Christ. Stop sending Tweets and start sending prayers. Put a halt on constantly opening these immoral apps and begin opening your Bible. It’s time we stop feeling so helpless and start reaching out to others. We are the next generation and we must make a difference. Remember that there is no one like you. You are one of a kind. Take my advice and just be yourself; those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.