Patriotism. What it should mean to everyone | Teen Ink

Patriotism. What it should mean to everyone

July 3, 2014
By Jackies63 SILVER, Sandy Hook, Connecticut
Jackies63 SILVER, Sandy Hook, Connecticut
6 articles 0 photos 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Start where you are. Use what you can. Do what you can"
-Arthur Ashe


Patriotism by definition is the love that people feel for their country. The love that makes them proudly hang flags from their porch steps, bestowing the world their true infatuation with their country. It is the love that makes them proud to truly be American.
Patriotism to me it how one acts when they are asked where they are from. They stand up straight and annunciate their answer. I am an American. A Patriot does not falter in the proud stance they hold. They look at that person and answer with the trueness that not even the greatest skeptic could doubt. Even if they are attempted to be persuaded they are unfaltering in their decision to stand by their country.
A Patriot’s blood boils when the see a flag not properly hung. In their hearts beats the true admiration of someone who loves what they stand for. Patriots stand up for their country. Perhaps the strongest of this unwavering bond is those in out armed forces. They represent a true patriot. A solider or veteran knows the true feeling of protecting the thing they devote themselves to.
A strong patriot never discriminates; they have too much pride to do such a preposterous thing. A patriot stands up against anything for their beliefs. Much like Rosa Parks, who went broke society’s rules and all of the amazingly daring 56 men who signed the Constitution. They all risked their lives, fortunes, and families in the ultimate sacrifice to their country. Patriots stand ready to defend their precious country. They run the risk for being called ignorant, traitors, and conspirators. However, they do not care what they are called, because if it is good for their country; it is good for them.
Patriots do not doubt their government. They of course have some suspicions, but they all have faith in the end.
“A real patriot is the fellow who gets a parking ticket and rejoices that the system works” –Bill Vaughan


The author's comments:
I wrote this article about Americans, but the message should ring true for everyone, no matter what their country of origin is.