U.S Gas Exports Changing the Global Market | Teen Ink

U.S Gas Exports Changing the Global Market

By teen_inker275 BRONZE, Redmond, Oregon
teen_inker275 BRONZE, Redmond, Oregon

"Childhood is not birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies."

The United States energy sector is improving and it’s surprising everyone. The United States used to be one of the biggest importers of energy and now the nation is wanting to share their sufficient resources with the world. The increase in energy is due to the nation large shale formations.

Shale is a type of sedimentary rock and can be easily split into slabs. By speeding up energy exports the nation will shake up the global economy and become a dominant player in this sector. Even though this seems easy it is a lot more difficult than it sounds.

One of the problems companies would have to face is approval to export gas to places which do not have a free trade agreement with the United States. This includes nations in Asia and Europe. Companies would also have to build factories with the ability to export natural gas and those factories do not currently exist.

It takes a long time to build these factories and the first terminal is expected to be ready in 2015 or later.Most expect these facilities to be ready between 2017 and 2019."It takes about four years to get such a terminal up and running, and that is after you have all your approvals in place," says Tom Choi, national gas practice leader.

An advantage the U.S is enjoying over the market and that is the price of gas. In Asia and Europe companies tend to link oil and gas prices together making it three to four times higher than the United State’s gas prices. If the United States starts to export at these prices, it will decrease the global price on gas.