Homework | Teen Ink

Homework

By Juliee BRONZE, Boston, Massachusetts
Juliee BRONZE, Boston, Massachusetts

Homework: Is it too little or too much?

Imagine you're at school and it’s the end of the day and your teacher hands you a packet of homework. When my little brother was in 1st grade he used to get a packet of homework every Monday, so he can do it from Monday to Friday The have to hand it in next Monday Morning Sometimes he wouldn’t even do it he’d try to find every little excuse so he can get out of doing it but think about it . . . 50-90% of students in 1st grade would finish the packet the same day they’d get it. Teacher are preparing students for Middle School and so on. Homework can be very helpful and harmful in certain ways. A lot of people agree and disagree but can getting too little or too little Help you? or Have a Bad impact on you? Sometimes it could be shocking that in a 1st grade class at least 50-90% would finish it the same day they’d get it. Homework is it too much or too little? Depending on the type of way a teacher teaches it varies, Some adults,students and teachers agree and some just don't. If you're a student like me you could agree to disagree rather we should or shouldn't get more homework. What are some good advantages? What are some bad advantages? How does homework benefit us? I believe students from 1sr to 12th grade shouldn’t get more homework for many reasons a few reasons I say students should not get homework because it leads to stress,annoyance and lack of sleep.

From my personal experience as a student, I know there are a lot of different types of “students” one of them is they like to work hard and succeed but their are just some that they don’t like to work and that they just come to school to see and talk to their friends, their are plenty or types of students but these are just the two main types. But for the students who like to work hard they often tend to get too much homework and a lot of bad things happen to them especially lack of sleep and Depression. If you think about it lack of sleep is very bad for students especially if they have to get up late or early to school because a kid/teen needs 9-10 hours of sleep to be awake to be motivated to do work for 6 hours 5 days a week. In some cases some people would disagree with me. But if you willing to work hard and succeed you really need to to push yourself to the limit. Try harder become more achievable and more proficient don't count on anyone else but yourself because only you can affect your future for the better or worse, it all starts with you.

After months of your parents training you for 1st grade and so on it’s time that you took a stand for yourself plan your future, make a commitment that you can work improve yourself for a better generation, Otherwise there’s always someone waiting to take your place in the future. Strongly in my opinion I think if students were to try positive outcomes would be waiting for them soon and especially for me I think I have a lot of great opportunities. Your opportunities come from what you learned from your precedent years for earlier education like from kindergarten to whatever your grade is now .

On average Math Teachers assigned more than two hours of homework per week around 1994-95. In the 1980s teachers started to give more homework to younger students. Depending on who you ask it’ll vary. In 2002 studies show that students ages 6-17 were doing twice as much homework than before. Without homework students could do more curricular activities studies also show that students who participate in curricular activities are more productive and more ready for class they tend to focus more and be more active. Over 100 Middle-Schoolers report that homework is way too much and takes up their time they also end up finishing homework around 11-12 o’clock in the night and they barely get sleep they also have to deal with curricular activities after school and teachers during the day time. When us Middle schoolers go home all we want to do is relax.

They say that we should get homework and it “helps” us with more academic performances. They also say that it’s not a lot but if you really think about it, it is a lot and it has a very bad impact on us I strongly disagree with the adults and students who say homework is good etc. because in my opinion it really isn’t sometimes teachers even give homework because they didn't get the time to teach the lesson so then they take it out on us by giving it as homework. I feel this way because i Think homework hasn’t really helped me in any way and that it only stresses me and the other students i’ve met and they also agree with me.Therefore I Believe Students from 1-12 grade should get more homework because it has a strong impact on us and it greatly takes time from us and from our lives