REJECTS | Teen Ink

REJECTS

March 19, 2014
By FruityLoop SILVER, Berkshire, New York
FruityLoop SILVER, Berkshire, New York
9 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"Writers mean more than they say and say more than they mean." ~Mason Cooley


Rejects. Who are they? Rejects, are those who aren’t good enough, who will never be good enough. Rejects, are those who don’t fit the societal mold. The mold that deems what you should look like, what to wear, what words you speak, how you act, how you should think, in order to be someone of acceptance.

Rejects, are those who can’t be, who won’t be, stamped out of that perfect cookie cutter that dictates who someone should be, who someone must be. Rejects, are the ones discarded and tossed away because of their apparent worthlessness and uselessness because of their failure to fit that mold. Rejects, are the ones incompatible with society, who fail to fit that mold, who fail to be shaped by the cookie cutter.

Where are these rejects? Well, look around. I have found these rejects everywhere I have gone and everywhere I have looked. Just look around.

Visit a nursing home. Within a nursing home you’ll find some rejects. You will find the grandmother and the grandfather and the mother and the father, of a family who has been left behind, never to see or hear from their families again.

Visit an orphanage or foster care. Within foster care and within an orphanage you’ll find some rejects. You will find little ones with disabilities, children with blindness, children with deafness and precious children with autism and many others. You will find the trouble teens and the difficult and challenging children. You will find the ones who have not, a true place to call home. You will find the ones who have not, a father or a mother that they can claim as their own. The rejects are the have nots. The rejects have not, nor know not, love.

Take a walk down the street. You will find the rejects. You will find that guy, decorated in rags, rummaging through the trash, scrounging for food scraps. You will find that woman sleeping on the cold hard bench with nothing but her clothes to keep her warm. You will find those living with no tables for their food and no food for their tables.

Walk further down the street. You will find teen moms who are frowned upon for raising a child, at such a young age.

Take a look within schools. Yes, there are rejects here too. You will find the ones labeled outcasts, loners, invisibles, the no ones, all because they are different and don’t fit the mold of how a person should be.

Take a peek within a mother’s womb. Yes, even here too, exists a reject. The reject is a child yet to be born and introduced to the world, yet to cry, his or her first cry, yet to take, his or her first steps, yet to laugh, his or her first laugh, yet to smile, his or her first smile and still yet, to be shown love. This child is denied life. This child, residing in the mother’s womb only temporary, is rejected by society because of that chance the child will be born with a birth defect, because of that chance the child will be too much.
Those are the rejects. Rejects are all too familiar with rejection. Their cries and pleads for help go unanswered and unacknowledged. Their empty and reaching hands reach and remain reaching as bystanders look on, as people turn a blind eye and continue on by. And so, the rejects remain as rejects.

To what end?

Rejects are shown they have no place here and are tossed aside to be shunned and welcomed by no one. Right now, it seems not many see beyond the societal mold. Right now, it seems, not many see beyond that cookie cutter of what a person must be, of what a person should be.

But you, the bystander, the on looker, the person who continues walking on, can, can’t you?
You can see that no matter who the rejects are they are still your grandmother, your grandfather, your mother, your father, your sister, your brother and your friend. You can see that no matter what, the rejects are no different from you or me. The rejects deserve love. They need to be loved. It needs to be made known to them; it needs to be shown to them through acts of kindness and compassion that no matter what, that societal mold and that cookie cutter doesn't matter.

So, show some love.

Love is sitting down and playing a game of Uno, Bingo with, or just listening to the life stories of the grandmother, the grandfather, the mother, the father left behind in a nursing home.

Love is playing and tickling and laughing and guiding the children who have not a true place, who have not a father or a mother to claim as their own. They will, at the very least, have a place in your heart. They will, at the very least, know love.

Love is offering that man, rummaging through the trash, a meal other than the food scraps. Love is giving a blanket to that woman sleeping on the bench.

Love is siting with, talking with and laughing with that loner, that invisible, that no one and that outcast.

Love is holding that child in your arms who greets you with a smile and in that moment your heart surges.

Love is reaching out and grasping that hand and pulling the reject onto their feet. Love is accepting all of someone and all of their imperfectly perfect flaws. Love is seeing beyond that standardized illusion and scope of perfection.
So, show some love. After all aren't we all rejects? Aren't we the ones rejected by society because we fail and always will fail, to fit that mold and we will never be stamped out of that cookie cutter? Yes, we all are.

Join me and let’s show some love. We all need it. So, show some love.


The author's comments:
You are special there is no one like you. You are original, your own individual being. DON'T let anyone take that away from you.

It's time to reject society's standards.