Happiness | Teen Ink

Happiness

By sudha medapati SILVER, West Windsor, New Jersey
sudha medapati SILVER, West Windsor, New Jersey

What is happiness? Is it that feeling that you get when you win? Is it when buy that iphone you’ve been waiting for? Or is it a day at the spa? But what is happiness? According to Wikipedia happiness is “a mental or emotional state of well-being characterized by positive or pleasant emotions ranging from contentment to intense joy.”

Remember that moment when you bought that sweater you wanted so much and the feeling you received because you bought it. That was an example of the material things we buy that make us happy. But does a material object exactly make someone happier rather than an experience. Many psychologists said that having an experience instead of an object makes people happier. An experiment that was held in the university of san Francisco, says that people who had experience as happiness were more joyful than those who had or bought material possessions.

Another way people are more happier is if they have money or earned money. Many are aware of the saying “money doesn’t buy happiness” but do a majority follow it? A experiment done in Sweden at the university of lund suggests that family, friends and other relationships make people happier.

These are only two ways people feel happier but there are many more. Remember that happiness is from relationships and not from material possessions.
Happiness, true happiness, is an inner quality. It is a state of mind. If your mind is at peace, you are happy. If your mind is at peace, but you have nothing else, you can be happy. If you have everything the world can give - pleasure, possessions, power - but lack peace of mind, you can never be happy –Dada Vaswani