"They" can f*** off. Unsubstantial. | Teen Ink

"They" can f*** off. Unsubstantial.

November 12, 2013
By Clova PLATINUM, Miami, Florida
Clova PLATINUM, Miami, Florida
26 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
Brave, unconcerned, mocking, violent-thus wisdom wants us: she is a woman and always loves only a warrior


It's not substantial.

"They" say children are like sponges, soaking in their environment and drip replications when squeezed. But it is not just the children who are sponges. This unknown source of commentary, aka "they", neglect the curious. The young naive teenager and wrinkly wise grey man, polar elements of time, both have this sponge like quality simply because they are observant, curious and collective.

As a young naive teenager, the environment dripping from my mind is disheartening. “They” tell me I am an individual with infinite potential and hold change in my virgin hands. “They” teach me since birth that a slim princess waist, a dash of ambition and pre-teen romance leads to this ultimate one true love. “They” hand out masks of ignorance and apathy to my peers, disguised as cell phone apps and a sense of entitlement from the commercial world. “They” say dedication in college will lead to a successful career and to strive for my dreams. “They” say I should embrace the skin that encases my body.

"They" often speak in absolute hypocrisy.

If I am an individual with infinite potential and clasp change, than why are all unique aspects stripped away by the demand to be mainstream? If I have the power to change all, why is the world this stagnant disarray of political upheaval, fueled primarily for self interest and power? Why does my unweighted/weighted GPA limit my desire for knowledge and self empowerment? Why do standardized tests dictate the level of my intellect? Where did this filthy promotion of hope spur from in a world that constantly tells me no? How can I achieve change when at the brink of adulthood, my youthful actions already conclude my future salary, that hinders or bolsters the range of cash used to fund change? Has it become economically unwise to charge credit cards on a universal metamorphosis?

If my childhood idols morally portray love as a females vital goal, why do I hurt? Why are little girls taught to hand over everything to the first “prince charming”, only to discover he did not abide by the code of chivalry? Did love at first sight ever truly exist? Is anything prior to adulthood more than lust and a scream for understanding? Must the size of my waist, length of my hair, color of my eyes, sound of my voice be the most vital aspects to winning a heart? Does love ever spur from blind conversation or only on the first shallow physical interpretations? If “pussy is power” than why am I deemed a lesser being, during the twenty-first century, simply because of my innate anatomy? Why, statistically, is my future income always less than that of a man's? Must woman be labeled b****es from relentless ambition and determination, when a man mirrors these qualities and is deemed successful?

Why is it popular to self indulge and knowingly ignore the cruel facts? When did the news become almost comedic instead of informal? Why do so many lack an understanding that besides their 100 likes on Instagram, the world is burning, starving, fighting? These masks: choke, conform and distance emotional connection. “They” fear hope and ambition, these combined can cause anarchy and their chess board is ever so ordered. Why are children raised with this entitlement that deserves a slap? What happened to being selfless and appreciating what you're given without a question? The balance of give and take has been tipped. Where are the innovators? Where are the philosophers that shock a myriad of people with new refreshing thoughts? Have we lost originality ? Has the desire to pick up a good book, written by a note-worthy author ceased? Are their even authors worth reading from this generation?

Do tell me, if college is the foundation to any successful future, why is the debt attached so detrimental? Why can no one afford the schooling they deserve? Fresh, ripe, individuals tossed into the world craving pedagogy have their empty pockets cut, so all savings pour into the web of another higher power. If I am told to strive for my dreams, why then is it known doctors and lawyers embody success and writers and artist perish? Is it because the logical and creative idealisms of the world are also unbalanced? Why can't I leave this dreaded peninsula because of my families income? Shouldn't the upcoming generation to run the country be encouraged to leave the nest and culture their raw faculty?

My God, if I am told to love and strut my body, why is every ideal model as thin as my arm? Why are characteristics that are out of my control, such as height, skin color and bone structure, frowned upon? I cannot change who I am, how my body curves, the structure of my face; why is this fixation so focused on? Body image is a heavy burden, that ultimately is time consuming and useless. Do I reject health? No. But to make it one of societies most important issues is ludicrous. Will the length of anyones hair, size of their hips or shape of their face solve any psychological and environmental issues? No. The suicide rate continues to rise, as death casualties are caused less by natural disasters and more by civil disputes.

This curious sponge I occupy is unsatisfied. What good is sucking up worldly surroundings, only to discover that a mainstream facade has left everyone blind and unfulfilled. They've stripped me down to my naked, unoriginal body and remind me that I am simply a collective of thoughts understood from other previous individuals. Is there no hope for me to bring new? To make change? From within my self and begin a lasting trend of better?

"They" can f*** themselves. I refuse to live my life by the sayings and rules of an intangible, unknown source. I will thrive and dictate my future, with whatever debt, average schooling, body type, lack of mask, I have.


The author's comments:
Society and it's hypocrite ways.