A Drop of Embers This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

She sits. The grass licking her fingers, the ground reaching up to cushion her fall. The sky wobbles in her vision, clouds releasing their tears unto the ground miles below, conjuring a shallow gray paint strewn across the heavens. Her eyes, weary, close against the rigid drops falling from above; they tap on her clothing, the rhythm to a song that has only just begun.
She hears the fluttering of wings, followed by a soft plop in the small pond across from her limp form. The raindrops trickle down her face, as she tries to ignore the presence of the bird, cushioned by the water as she is cushioned by the ground, one by land and one by sea. Her mind wanders, dipping into the past as the rain seeps into the earth, the water. Her thoughts seep deeper into stillness, their trail just as deft.
The bird hoots at her, the quieted sentinel resting in the pillow of grass, on the bank of a forgotten pond in a derelict grove. The trees whisper around her, wind hissing a rumor into their ears, in minutes whisked around the forest to be circulated again. The girl, so silent, so still. Breath shallow, as shallow as the pond before her; yet as undeterred by this fact as the waters.
So relaxed.
The rain stains her face with false tears, ice with a soul of fire. Herself, a frozen statue with a mind of embers. The water ripples, arcs, settles; the bird lifts into the air and the wingbeats fade into the wind.
She listens, silent, ghostly, unmoving.
The others don’t know it; they are too occupied with their own times, their own schedules, with money and work than to exploit the true things that matter. The trees, the pond, the birds and leaves scattered around her thin, frail body; the rain with a soul of fire. They are frozen in time, the very thing they rush through, never glancing back, never turning, never caring. The world she has seen is frozen, stuck, running ahead. And not once does it glance, not once does it turn; and never does it care.
But not there. There, cocooning her body, the earth and water mixing together, there things are different. Slow. Calmed. Real. More real than the world that she has known for so long. There waits. There listens. There sees. And with timid footfalls, light, sneaking into the future, it moves on to the next scene. A child laughing into the sky, missing the moment as it passes but savoring the chance to continue, knowing that there will be more skies and more laughter. But also knowing that it will never be the same.
They don’t bother to wait. They don’t bother to savor. They just rush on to the next meeting, next hour, next minute of the day; and then they forget all of There. All the beauty. All the splendor.
All the honesty.
The girl, face wet with the sky, smiles into the clouds, eyelids lifting slowly. Her pupils dilate to absorb the pristine circle of peace surrounding her; the rain creates voices in the sky, an interlude to a song that will never end. A sigh escapes her lips, and she listens to the pattering, the whispering, the rumor; the world stands still and not a moment is wasted as her senses turn to the circulating truth of There.
Once heard, she stands. She embraces. She never glances back. No regrets. No mistakes. Just honesty.
Footstep by footstep, creeping into the distance, she fades into the wind.
And not once does she stop caring.

WOWritingThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jun. 30 at 11:37 am:
This is a sweet poem, full of truth and honesty :)

Kestrel135This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Jun. 30 at 6:56 pm :
Thank you!

Liv.HarrisThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 19 at 5:59 pm:
I LOVED THIS!!!!! My favorite line would have to be, "The rain stains her face with false tears, ice with a soul of fire." It's so perfect!! KEEP writing!!!

Jun. 20 at 5:49 pm :
Thank you so much! And I definitely intend to keep on writing, that's for certain!!! I'm glad you loved it:) 

currently_liddellThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Apr. 11 at 2:07 pm:
I really liked this it has great insperation and really moves you!

Apr. 12 at 10:00 am :
Thank you! I appreciate your feedback, and for rating. Thanks! 

ThatOneWritingGirlThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Apr. 6 at 4:23 pm:
I really liked this! I interpreted it more on a general reflection on life and how society functions now than an actual story, which might be why it appealed to be so much. Your writing is really lyrical and lovely to read. Great job!

Apr. 7 at 5:06 pm :
Thank you! It was meant to be a sort of general reflection, and I'm glad the message came across. I appreciate the feedback! 

GuardianoftheStarsThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 22 at 10:58 pm:
This was a beautiful piece.  The words flowed so nicely and I could see the entire work playing out in my head. I loved the ending too! I was so simple and clean.  This was truely a refreshing read!!

Mar. 23 at 1:37 pm :
Thank you so much! In a way it is a bit wistful, but also very hopeful, and that makes it balanced. I'm glad you found it a refreshing read - this is a style I'm not really used to, but at the same time, in corporates what I do most often. Refreshing is good, and is what I was hoping people would feel after they read this piece. Thank you! 

Bay_Renee said...
Feb. 23 at 7:14 pm:
   I loved this so much! I liked how it was descriptive, but not overly 'telling'! The perfect balance of showing the readers where the character is, but letting them create their own scene, as well. That's a talent!      Anyway, I enjoyed the piece! I thought it was very captivating and beautifully written. The storyline was nice, too- simple and containing a vague character, but very satisfying, at the same time. Again, ... (more »)

Feb. 25 at 8:16 pm :
Thank you! I'm glad you found it smooth and interesting, even with such little actual event. I do like keeping things vague; sometimes it's better to let the reader decide who the character is. Thank you for the comments! 

RoyalCorona said...
Jan. 31 at 5:04 pm:
I liked this a lot! I thought that it was very interesting and they imagery in this passage was just beautiful and breathtaking! I don't have any critiques! Great job!

Feb. 1 at 11:43 am :
Thank you so much! It's always nice to hear that your work is appreciated. I don't normally use third person, but I figued that I could try it out in this piece, and it worked quite well. I'm glad you like it!