A Step in the Right Direction. | Teen Ink

A Step in the Right Direction.

By AlmostNormal SILVER, Tulsa, Oklahoma
AlmostNormal SILVER, Tulsa, Oklahoma

" All is far in love and war"

I can not express to you the feelings that run through me when I hear people talking negatively of themselves. Its almost like a personal attack on myself when I hear it,now I am no stranger to self-degradation and it may be because of that, I know the harmful effects of ill words and painful actions. So how do we change this? How do we get people to take a step back and think "I am beautiful in my own way, and I love that."?
Let me give you some of my ideas. First, and please excuse my language, we say "Screw the idea of beauty" and we just look at the ways that would make us feel beautiful. Lips that speak kinds words, eyes that see the love in others. Ears that hear secrets yet not let others to hear. A touch that calms.
Second, we fall in love with ourselves, but keeping a level head. Understanding that you don't have to have another person to feel worth existing. If everyone would just stop, and look at the beauty in nature, how much of it is "perfect", how much of it changes in time? Its the flaws that make it special and amazing.
Finally, we tell one another how we feel. May be not completely in dept so that meaningful words stop meaning as much. Example, when you do something right and someone says "Thank you" you get this feeling of satisfaction. When you put make up on, and people say "Hey you look good" or better yet when you don't and people say the same.
All it takes is a kind word, a nice look, and a loving touch. All it takes is a step in the right direction.

I am in high school, and just walking down the hall I hear these people, tearing themselves down.