Changing Perspectives | Teen Ink

Changing Perspectives

By _helenhorton SILVER, Springfield, Ohio
_helenhorton SILVER, Springfield, Ohio

You know what? People make me feel like I'm worthless, and that I'm so different that it is law to hate on me. But I guarantee you that I'm not the only one. I bet millions of other teenage girls feel like me.
I go through all of my social media accounts, and especially on Facebook, all I see are these insanely gorgeous, skinny, adored-by-all-of-the-guys girls. Then I realize, 'Wait, what? These are girls I know and go to school with. Why can't I be as perfect as them?'
One girl poses the same in every picture and gets a bunch of 'You're so pretty!' and, 'This is gorgeous :)' comments on every one. And another gets 10 billion likes on every single freaking thing she posts.
But at the same time, there are a bunch of edited photo shopped, fake chicks who get the billion likes as well. They're fake, but at the same time honesty real. People may think that all of the makeup makes them even prettier, but underneath, they are still stunning people! Like, how is that possible? Looks like you got the Gene lottery...
Honestly, why can't I be just like them? Why can't I be drop-dead beautiful, skinny-but-not-anorexic-but-the-pretty-Hollister-model-skinny, loved by all guys, and never get any hate?
I mean, everything I do is scrutinized. I am probably one of the biggest Directioners in my school, and every time I like a picture, another person unfriends me because they don't want to see those 'homosexual gay guys' on their Walls. Honestly, if I could change that setting, I WOULD. And I don't upload a lot of pictures because I don't want people to look at my profile and say, 'EW. Who let the fat girl go out like that? Why didn't someone tell her that she looks awful? Ugh.'
Going into High School, I don't want to be hated, or be known as they annoying girl. I really don't.
I mean, sure, I have a few really close friends, and they accept me for who I am, but I want to be at least decently liked by everyone.
Or at least let society change our point of view for teenage girls. AT LEAST.
We are pressured to be stick thin, blemish free, always happy, guy-getting, all around perfect. Why? Because that's all we see anymore.
Sure, they are telling girls that it's okay to be different, and that you are unique for who you are... but that's not how it really is.
You know who I really want people to see everywhere? Real life girls. The girls who weren't born with a model's body, but who still have fat thighs and stomachs, even though they workout. The girls who want to live in sweatpants and baggy t-shirts. The girls who have pimples and less that perfect hair. US. Real girls. The underdogs. The ones who try to be comfortable with themselves, but find a reason to bring herself back down every second. The girls who listen to her favorite songs to try to bring herself up. Quirky freshman with braces, glasses, and who wear a size 15 jeans, for crying out loud!
If this was what reality was really like, we would all be happier. We would all be less crucial. We would be better people.
No one is a Barbie Girl, in a Barbie World.
But to the fake girls out there; Hey, plastic melts in the sun. I suggest that you should go inside.

I wrote this at 1 A.M. in my basement. I was looking through some of my friends on Facebook and I was scrolling through their pictures. That gave me the inspiration to write this.

Nelu96 said...
on Aug. 17 2012 at 11:37 am
iI agree. We should learn to accept each other for who we are. Each of us are beautiful in our own special way.