The Blue Funk Pandemic

No One Is Alone

There are over 120 million people worldwide who suffer from depression; Eighteen million alone residing in the United States of America. 20%-50% of adolescents today have a family history concerning depression. It is an issue widely known for its very negative results. Depression, no matter its commonality, is spread because of many issues, some more personal than others. It is more than just a call for attention. As an antecedent of depression, the emotions tied together are incredibly more intense than one can describe. It’s almost as if much of the weight of the world is lying on your shoulders and you can’t shake it off. It can be a difficult and long journey without the right help or knowledge for those who suffer from depression. What is important is: No one is alone.

Contrary to belief, depression is not just a disease that can fade away if forced out of the system. Untreated clinical depression can lead to serious affects such as drug addictions, self-mutilation, and ruined relationships. Clinical depression affects the way you eat and sleep as well as the way your body, moods, and thoughts react to things. Without treatment it can gravely affect one’s daily routine. Without proper treatment, clinical depression can last for years, if one makes it through that long.

To many people who suffer from depressive symptoms, anyway way to escape reality is the easiest way to deal with it. It is difficult to say how depression will affect one person, but as time moves forward, it becomes more of a struggle to handle the issues made by depression. As untreated depression progresses, it is possible that it can slide downhill into many harmful addictions.

Depression is one of the leading causes for drug addictions. Users of recreational drugs, such as ecstasy, alcohol, and heroin often find that their moods correlate with depression. Those with depression use these drugs to regain relief and “reality”. Drugs affect the neurotransmitters in the brain, just as depression does, and helps heighten and enhance the moods of users.

Self-mutilation is also another addiction caused by depressive symptoms. Self-mutilation can be defined by repetitive and non-lethal self-harming. There are many ways that has been found as a self-abusing and self-harming issue, including: cutting, burning, infecting oneself, hitting oneself or hard objects, and even hair-pulling. For some, it is a way to distract oneself from what is going on inside their brains or chest or throat and focusing all pain onto one tiny spot. Within the last ten years, self-mutilation and injury has become more and more apart of today’s society. It is one of the closest steps that leads to thoughts and attempts at suicide, an issue that is even bigger now than ever before.

Many people seem to believe that depression is just a teenage attention-grabber or mainstream medical issue. Depression can be developed by biological, genetic and environmental factors. The potency of depression varies from person to person as well as the reason why it is begins to develop; some suffer due to one single cause, while others have various issues at play. For many, however, the origins are never known.

Biochemical level distortion is one of the few scientifically proven ways that causes depression. Lack of sleep, dietary habits, and hereditary issues could be reasons for the biochemical distortions. Just because you have a family member who has had depression doesn’t mean you will, as well. Personality traits often factor into how a person will deal with depression. Negative thinking, pessimism, feelings of alienation, cynicism, and rejection are some of the more defining personality traits that can tip you over into depression.

Social degradation and inadvertence are several environmental issues that can cause depression. In today’s society, many modern ideas has been spread and has become a more stable part of the culture. However, despite growing stability, many use these issues against one another.

Social networking and online surfing often leads to social isolation and bullying. As technology takes over the world of communication, teens tend to isolate themselves to websites like Tumblr, Twitter, or, most famously known, Facebook. According to the American Academy of Pediatrics, there is a huge problem they label as “Facebook Depression.” Many teens suffer from this without even knowing it. In this case, one finds that they are barraged with the willingness to compare their own life with photos of friends with “better” lives than their own, internally wounding them with dissatisfaction with life. Life is meant to be lived to your own fullest rather than someone else’s fullest.

We are who must stand up and either get help or help those who suffer from depression. It is difficult, at the very least, to stand up for oneself. Two-thirds of the population suffering from depression never turn for help; One out of twelve teens have attempted suicide within the last year. These numbers are growing.

There are different things and place one can turn to in order to fight off and prevent depression. It is important to first go to a counselor or doctor if you believe that you are