Beautiful

Recent poles have shown that the average girl takes between 10-35 minutes getting ready in the morning, whilst boys take only 5 minutes. Why is this you ask? The media is the answer. The media have taken it upon themselves to only allow perfect stick thin girls on their billboards and advertisements. As if this isn't bad enough, they also airbrush them! 

Below is a picture of a ex-member of cast out of Desperate Housewives. One of the photos shows a fairly average woman, the one beside it however shows a woman with tight youthful skin and wrinkle free hands. Which do you think is the natural of the two?

The media tells us what to eat, how to feel, even how beautiful we are. The next time you feel jealous of a model posing in a skimpy outfit, tell your self this. This model has had her face covered with toxic "makeup", her hair done by a professionally, probably has been starving herself silly for the last few months, the lighting has been angled so she looks prettier, a photographer telling her what looks best and has been airbrushed! Just think if you had been through each of these points you would look every bit as perfect as the model!

The medias negative impact hits us early than you would expect. No, no twelve or thirteen, around the age of four. Yes, four. Remember Barbie? The all blonde, über skinny and flawless doll. A standard Barbie doll is 11.5 inches tall, so at a 1/6th scale, she would stand five feet nine inches. According to the set of scales that came with Slumber Party Barbie, she weights little more than seven and a half stone.( if she were in real life)Therefore, Barbie at life-sized proportions is 2 and a half stone underweight. Is that such a good example for a four year old? I think not, they would be just as happy playing with a doll who was average weight and looks, would they not? I would not see the difference myself at that age because all dolls were used for was being miniature hair clients at that age. 

Then again at age eight we are hit by pouty lipped dolls: bratz have replaced barbie's pink clothing with ultra short mini skirts and low cut t-shirts. With lashing of makeup and in the movies showing the four main girls flirting with boys, these girls aren't the best role models in the world. Infact they are probably the worst side by side celebrities. With the increase of plastic surgery becoming more adamant in young celebs and bad behaviour such as drinking and illegal drugs, who can our younger generation really look up to these days?

Seventy-five percent of girls with a low feeling of worth reported engaging in negative activities, such as disordered eating, cutting, bullying, smoking, or drinking when feeling badly about themselves. Only two percent of women in an American poll said they felt beautiful. 

According to international study commissioned by Dove, by the age 12 most girls have seen around 77,500 ads. Researchers questioned 2,000 girls from the UK and the US aged between 10 and 14 and found out that as much as 77 percent of them described themselves in negative terms. Many said they consider themselves ugly, fat and upset when comparing themselves with attractive images shown in advertisements.

Girls all over the world need to stop and say ' I am beautiful.' because everyone is, whether you have a big nose, buck teeth or a chubby face. Everyone is equal and there's nothing we can do about that. Because no amount of airbrushing can change our true beauty

christmastreelover said...
Wow!!!! I actually love this piece.. so suitably and appropriate for this age group and for todays world. We love chocfrog x

litelittle said...
this is really good, and informative! We need more of this for the society we now live in :)

chocolateaddict said...
I found this article quite surprising, i didnt realise Barbie could possibly be a bad role model! It was helpful and showed the rue side of life. I showed this to a self conscious friend and this helped her. Thankyou

hollister88 said...
 So inspiring. Every word was true and this highlighted some important issues. Well done (: