It Was That Day, the First Day of Seventh Grade... | Teen Ink

It Was That Day, the First Day of Seventh Grade...

"We will be needing her locker separated from the other children." My mother stated.

"That shouldn't be a problem." Said the puzzled janitor.

It was that day, the first day of seventh grade that I realized I was truly different. I didn't have a disease like dyslexia or ADD, I didn't have any learning disabilities or really any disabilities at all, unless you call being the "odd ball" a disability.
I always had dreams of what it most like to be an only child, but I was born into a set of fraternal triplets, so that was not the case. Every year, I was in a different class than my siblings, on a different sports team, had different friends, etc. But the year I started middle school, I found out that lockers were assigned by last name- so since me and my siblings have the same last name, our lockers should be near one another's, right? Wrong.
Towards the end of the school year, kids were still asking me "Are you related to the twins?" and kids were asking my siblings "Are you to related to her?" The sad part is, my siblings always told everyone they were twins and had no relation to me. Teachers believed this for several reasons. At parent teacher conferences, my parents always showed up for my siblings, but my
Grandfather or Aunt would show up for me, if anyone showed up for me at all. My siblings made straight F's, I made straight A's. I wore normal clothes, my siblings wore designer clothes. I had different looks too. My siblings went to Florida for every vacation, I stayed at home. It wasn't until I wrote an essay about being a triplet that made some of the teachers realize.
So what I was different? So what I got good grades and had many friends? Life at home was always great, until my Grandma died. Then, life became a war zone, but thats another story. What really matters is that I, Jackie, became to love myself because of me, not because of my siblings.

angel said...
on Feb. 16 2017 at 7:00 am
Awesome job n thanks

angel said...
on Feb. 16 2017 at 7:00 am
Awesome job n thanks

Nusi Gray said...
on Oct. 24 2010 at 2:07 pm
This is sad, well written, but it feels incomplete. Like why were you excluded from all your family im confused.