Breath in, Breath out | Teen Ink

Breath in, Breath out

By FoodSamples BRONZE, Phoenix, Arizona
FoodSamples BRONZE, Phoenix, Arizona

"Sometimes it takes sadness to know happiness, noise to appreciate silence, and absence to value presence."

Breathe in…breathe out. Those words were my savior on the long trek I took that frosty January day. I can still remember it clearly. The excitement and the suspense were all still so real in my mind. I never thought I would make it through those long four laps of the track. But somehow, in the shadow of hopelessness, I rose up and took control, finishing my race strong, head held high. However, what didn't’t understand at the time is how the experiences of the day could affect me in a greater way than I could possibly imagine. The perseverance in running the mile has an important lesson behind the long never-ending journey.
Struggling to get my left leg to lift one more time as I sprint across the endless track and hyperventilating with each painful breath, a thought pounds into my exhausted mind, “Why would anyone do this?” Then, as I looked off into the distance of the long track, the thin white line neatly painted on the tracks surface shined with a heavenly light. The finish. I thought to myself pushing my legs harder and sprinting ahead. A new and strange feeling entering my system. What then happened was an example of perseverance. A determination to finish a difficult task, that takes strength and will to succeed. Perseverance is a trait that is found in the toughest of times. It comes to only those who have to courage and strength to press on no matter how stressful, tired, or hopeless they feel.
The have and demonstrate perseverance can’t just happen out of nowhere. You need something to succeed and believe in. This is where my mile came in. I had enjoyed the weekly mile we had done at my school so, with determination in my heart a belief that I could accomplish this race, I signed up. The day was a bitter one, the cold icy wind numbing your nose and fingers. The laughs and whispers of the crowd in the bleachers were whisked away by the wind as I crouched to the beginning line. An excited and scared feeling filled my heart giving me a sudden energy boost. Boom. The gun went off, sending a small cloud of black dust from its nozzle. My heart exploded, the feelings rushing through my legs. I had begun my journey.
The confidence I had had, was fading. With every painful step I took, the pain inside my chest grew stronger. My breaths were deep and fast. I don’t know if I can do this. I thought to myself my senses beginning to shut down. Breath in…Breath out, I thought trying to save the dying spark of hope I had left. “Run! GO, GO, GO!!! Almost there!” I heard my friends shout from the side lines. I looked up. The finish line was just barely visible in the distance. I can do this. The small spark ignited inside me and my legs beginning to stretch out far, pushing harder with each step. And just like that…I passed the finish line. The long race I had trained and trained for weeks running three to four miles a day was over. Just like that. I had won my race.
In the end, perseverance in running can all relate to one thing. Life. Our lives are full of events that try our courage and strength. I know I will use the knowledge of perseverance in my daily life. I can help myself and other people with their problems, by relating back to my experience in running the mile. I can help people see the lessons of being tough and able to get through any bad experience. Problems can slow us down, and prevent us from getting to the end when we want to, but you can find a way to make it through. We just have to learn to push your abilities like I did the day of the mile. Whether you find the strength from yourself or someone else, you can make it to the finish line. You just have to believe in yourself, keep the faith, and finish strong.

This is an assignment from my English class. We could write about any trait and I picked perseverance.