Banning Creativity

In Ally Condie's Matched, the Society allows for only one hundred poems to be saved from pre-society times.
The thought that books are being banned and censored are devastating. It reminds the world of our limited window of creativity.
If a book, picture, or poem doesn't fit the mold, a special mold created by the people who have the real power in the world, then it is turned down,destroyed, or banned. That mold is tightening the choke hold it has on our minds, every second of everyday.
Are we animals? Must we be controlled in every aspect of our lives? Must we be punished if we do not conform to society's rules and what they say is proper? The real question is will we allow it to shape us, and push us to the point that we have only one hundred poems to remind us of creativity?

This article has 1 comment. Post your own!

so_joyThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:34 am:
Great job! I read Matched, and thought it was an extremely interesting and important book. You are a very good writer. Please read, rate, and comment on my poems! Thanks :)