Tsunami colours | Teen Ink

Tsunami colours

July 12, 2011
By Cinder SILVER, Auckland, California
Cinder SILVER, Auckland, California
8 articles 0 photos 14 comments

Favorite Quote:
''Curiosity kills the cat''


After the tsunami was well and truly over, Aliya felt inspired so she decided to get out her paints and gently use the soft colours and spread them across her page like wild fire.

She felt slightly peaceful like the waves that had died down. Aliya knew she felt lonely just like the ocean only filled with dead bodies.

Aliya slowly stopped painting and realised she had no where to go, except for Uncle Peter. She only ever used him as a last resort, which quite frankly he was needed. Picking up the phone Aliya dialled the numbers, her heart beating twice as fast when she did so.

Later that evening Uncle Peter arrived to pick Aliya up and had no intention of waiting around. Quickly Aliya grabbed her gear and ran out to the car, which was parked in the drive way.

When Aliya arrived at Uncle Peter’s house it was dull and boring and that is exactly how Aliya described Peter. He had no sense of colour or joy about him. The only thing Aliya found interesting was a picture of her grandmother, Rosie, who had passed away three years ago.

As Aliya made her way upstairs there were no pictures hung on the wall and everything smelt like mustard. Aliya knew she could not survive living there if there were no waves of emotional colour on the walls. Everything seemed lost and deserted. Aliya decided painting the walls a different coat of paint would make the house more cheerful!

Later on that night, Aliya started painting the house a pastel green colour and the rest of the house done in a vibrant orange.

The next morning Aliya found herself asleep on the couch in the lounge. She woke up to find her Uncle Peter hovering over her like a dark cloud.

Peter narrowed his eye brows and felt like he was going to explode. Peter started to shout and scream at Aliya, who was horrified at his reaction. Aliya ran up stairs and cried into her pillow. The only colour that was inside her now remained blue.

The next day Aliya wanted to create something, so she decided to start up her own art expedition. She went outside and started clearing up the garage, making space and painting a new coat of paint on the walls.

After a long period of time swarms of people started to crowd in and wander around. Many people bought objects, paintings and drawings. Her art became very popular.

An hour later Peter came outside to see what all the fuss was about. To his and Aliya’s surprise he was delighted about making money off Aliya’s art work.

As the evening passed, Aliya slept soundly that night and realised living with her Uncle Peter wouldn’t be so bad after all.


The author's comments:
I am very proud of this piece of writing and think its inspiring and makes a statement.