Not Enough. | Teen Ink

Not Enough.

By edgeofnight BRONZE, Buenos Aires, Other
edgeofnight BRONZE, Buenos Aires, Other

“If ever there is tomorrow when we're not together.. there is something you must always remember. you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think. but the most important thing is, even if we're apart.. i'll always be with you.”

You know the feeling of knowing what you want to say, but not being able to put it down into words? I do.

It is like knowing the end of the story, but not knowing how on Earth your characters will get there. And it is frustrating, slightly annoying at times. You get the flash, the movie scene, but regardless of all the effort you put into it, there is just no amount of words that can get it right, for words are not enough.

How do you describe the sea to a grown person who has never seen anything but firm earth? Or how would you explain how water feels when you dip your feet in a pool? You can describe its temperature, clarity, even its taste, but its touch? The resistance it makes as you push your fingers through its surface? Can you transmit what it feels to hold your firstborn in your arms for the first time? Or how the mere sound of a friend's laughter makes you feel? How on Earth can you possibly explain what your first kiss felt like? Sure, you can say it was nice, it was smooth, it was perfect, just as you expected it.

Whatever.

No matter how hard we try to put it down, no one can truly put themselves in our shoes. If we are honest with ourselves, we know that each experience is our own and ours alone. Others might be able to relate to it based on their own experiences, but just like you cannot describe colours to a blind person, no amount of words and gestures can make justice to every single thing we experience.

So why do we try so hard to explain, describe things? It is because, in spite of knowing that we can never be sure of what other people are thinking and going through, we can still cling to the hope of finding that someone who, alone amongst this vast, wild chaos of energy life is, will come so close to understanding us, that there will be no need for us to explain anymore.

I wrote this on the bus, so I know it is kind of a jumnble of ideas simply put together in the moment.