How to Conquer Stress | Teen Ink

How to Conquer Stress

January 19, 2011
By Dan Salganik BRONZE, Skokie, Illinois
Dan Salganik BRONZE, Skokie, Illinois
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

People now are pressured constantly. It seems like we always have to do something for someone or get something done by a certain time. Sometimes it seems like nothing is working out and we could barely handle it. Stress has its way of never forgetting to creep up on you when these moments arise. It is unwanted in our lives and it causes health conditions such as depression, heart disease, obesity, ulcers, and mental health dysfunctions.

I believe that stress can be easily avoidable and that most people can live their lives going through minimal stress if they follow some of these pointers.

1. Find out what is causing the stress and work on fixing it- The best thing to do when stressed is figuring out what is causing it. If it is something that is fixable, work on fixing or improving the situation. In other words, if you are stressed about a test or a report that must be done, then don’t waste your time thinking about it. Study or work on it so that it can be completed on time. The quality/ effectiveness of the work done prior to your due date reflect highly on the quality of the final product (no matter what the case is).
2. Take things one step a time- When someone is stressed, many times it is because they may have too much to do at once. Instead of going over your head and worrying about everything, take some time and write a list. Make sure the list is moderately detailed so that you have to know exactly what you have to do without wasting additional time toward the end. Once you have made a list, go from the first item to the last in that order. Do not skip around or think about the other items listed.

3. Make sure to have time for you- Many people are stressed because they devote all of their time to other causes. Whether it is school, work, family, or other obligations, you must make sure to remember who is most important. YOU! Try to give yourself a certain amount of time each day to do something you enjoy. This shouldn’t seem abstract because we must do what makes us happy. If you enjoy singing, spend 30 minutes a day singing. If you like to dance, take some time out to do that. It is healthy and will allow you to relieve built up stress and emotions.

4. Play sports- Many people take their emotions out when working out and playing sports. It is healthy physically and mentally to spend some time each day playing sports or doing some kind of physical exercise. Many times, recreational team sports allow you to meet new people, socialize, and forget the stress while playing.

5. Listen to slow music- When we are stressed, often life around us seems to be moving way too fast. Whatever your choice in music is, try to lie down somewhere, take a walk, or step into a bath and put on some slow music. Even if you do it for fifteen to thirty minutes a day, you will feel relieved and ready to take on the rest of your day. Your mind and body will thank you for this.

6. Talk to someone- If something is stressing you out, especially if you believe you cannot handle it, talk to someone. Many times a friends or family member’s insight on a situation will provide you with a clear path. Though sometimes they may be wrong, always take what others say into consideration. The people closest to us are there to help and, even though sometimes it won’t seem like it, they support you.

7. Cook something (or learn how to)- Personally, I find that cooking is a relaxing and fun experience. Grab some cookbooks or find some recipes online, turn on some relaxing music in your kitchen, and start chopping. As soon as you know it, there is an aroma of smells in your kitchen, you’re relaxed, and most likely eating something healthier than you would have if you went out.

8. Find yourself- many times, people are stressed because they are confused as to what or who they want to be in life. That is fine and a completely natural feeling. There are certain things you must do whilst looking to find yourself. Step out of your comfort zone and try new things. Make friends with new people. If possible, travel (and by travel I mean somewhere at least six hours away by plane). Learn new things and open your mind to new cultures, foods, and religions. Don’t analyze anything too much, but make sure to keep your mind rolling (not of stressful thoughts). Find what makes you happy.