Justin Bieber vs. David Archuleta: Who is a better role model?

There’s two guys in the music world who have gotten a lot of hype over the past few years. David Archuleta and Justin Bieber, both once living a normal life, quickly shot to fame almost out of no where. David Archuleta was runner-up on the seventh season of American Idol and has three high-ranking studio albums. Justin Bieber was a youtube sensation discovered by Usher, now a music sensation. They both have huge fan bases with their many albums, tours, and both even have best selling books. Now, if you asked the Beliebers which one of them is the better musician, they’d say Justin. And if you asked the Arch Angels, they’d without a doubt say David. Though they both really can’t be compared with their music, they can with their heroism.

Not too long ago, Justin Bieber was just an ordinary guy, making youtube videos of him singing and playing the guitar. Never did he think he’d end up where he is today, with such a strong following from his fans. But does their following go anywhere past his music? Though Justin worked hard to get where he is, and he donates to charities and has his new inspirational song “Pray”, has he ever done anything that really hit people hard and made them admire him? Though he’s done all of valuable things, it’s been known that he also acts out, swears, and possibly even punched a boy in the face. Do his good qualities even out with his faults?

David Archuleta was too just an ordinary guy with little confidence and no self-esteem, but a love for singing. When he finally did have enough self-assurance to actually try and work on music, he was diagnosed with vocal paralysis. He had felt like music was just a thing of the past, it was that one piece missing from him, until one day, he felt a strong, “unexplainable” feeling to audition for American Idol, and that’s how he got where he is today. David worked hard all throughout his life to get where he is, doing numerous singing competitions while battling his strong hatred for his voice. But that didn’t stop him. David is the perfect example of working hard and achieving your dreams. Not to mention the numerous charities he’s involved with, plus his unshakable faith and strong positivity, which he tries to share with people so that they too can achieve their goals in life and be happy. David’s influential music and motivational quotes make him an inspiration to many people, which is why David has such a devoted fan base.

So to answer the question “Who is a better role model?”, I think it’s pretty obvious that the answer is David. David has done a lot more for people than just flipping his hair. He’s truly inspired people to do what’s right with the strong impact he’s had. Though you can admire some of Justin’s qualities, there’s a lot more about David that makes him a true role model, and even a hero in his fans’ eyes.

ilovewriting95 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 14, 2011 at 8:19 pm:
Great article and I completely agree! David is a much better role model and singer than Justin.  :) By the way, Justin wrote a book? I never knew that, what's it called?

ilovewriting95 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jun. 26, 2011 at 6:45 pm :
Your welcome! Seriously though good job and keep writing! By the way, do you know when David Archuleta's next album will be out?

AALettaThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jun. 26, 2011 at 11:12 pm :
Thank you! And David actually did an interview recently saying that he doesn't plan on making another album this year, but he wants to release a new song soon! :D

Jun. 27, 2011 at 5:18 pm :
He is going to make another album though right? I heard rumors that his record label dropped him but that can't be true... he is too good.

Jun. 27, 2011 at 6:22 pm :
His label didn't drop him, a few months ago David decided to leave both his record label and maganement team. He recently said that he wasn't happy with them and wasn't going the direction he wants to go in his career. At the moment he isn't looking for labels, but he's been doing a ton of songwriting to bring to labels once he's ready. So there defintely will be another album eventually, but right now he just wants to take his time and figure out what he really wants. Very admirable :)

Jun. 27, 2011 at 11:04 pm :
That's awesome! As long as he comes out with another album eventually! You seem to know a lot about him. How do you know all this... does he say it in interviews or something?

Jun. 28, 2011 at 12:19 am :
Well I'm a pretty big fan. I run a David fansite and yes he says a lot in interviews, tweets, etc :)

Jun. 28, 2011 at 6:30 pm :
Cool! What is the name and link for your fansite? I want to check it out!! :) BTW, my review for David Archuleta's album is on Teen Ink now and I would love for you to ckeck it out! Thanks!:)

amalia said...
David is a better role model. He also has a better voice. I don't think Bieber is a good role model, he is just 16 years old and too young to do what he has been doing so far with Selena G. Come on!!!

amy12345 said...
Mar. 11, 2011 at 11:39 am:
i really dont know which one would be

loulou16 said...
Feb. 17, 2011 at 5:10 pm:
David would be the better role model i agree but he is not as well known as Justin which makes it easier for him to do what he wants with out the press hearing. but justin bieber is so popular that whatever he does people hear so i think it would be hard to be a role model if you were him

Feb. 17, 2011 at 5:35 pm :
True, but I think David knows better than to do anything. He genuinely woulnd't do things, not just because he's not as well known.

TheJust This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Mar. 10, 2011 at 5:13 pm :

And just because Beiber is well known doesn't give him a reason to be a bad role model. It's just an excuse other people give him and celebrities embrace. It's just a crutch.

hUNTER IS CUTE said...
Feb. 15, 2011 at 12:26 pm:
Justin Bieber is better than anyone because he is HOT!!!

Feb. 15, 2011 at 12:37 pm :
Well this article has nothing to do with looks. David's hot too but this article has nothing to do with that. You can't judge someone because they're hot or not...

XxDarkAngelxX replied...
Mar. 18, 2011 at 1:02 pm :
i agree the heart counts not the looks

Katie C said...
While it is a matter of opinion and I do not favour Justin Bieber, I think it is a little unfair to call him out on some of the behaviour you mentioned. You do, to a certain degree, give up your claim to childhood when you hit it big. But he is still a teenager, something we all know what it's like to be. If I had that many girls screaming and banging on the windows of my car, I would swear too. The other thing is : How do we know David hasn't done all of those things, and maybe even worse, when... (more »)

Jan. 14, 2011 at 1:14 am :
David has been in the spotlight since he was 17 and has never done anything reckless. He doesn't even swear. And even before he got big, from stories I've seen, he was a very sweet, caring teenager. And he's not doing anything bad now either. I'm really not trying to call Bieber out, it's just facts. David knows enough not to do stupid things and how to be a role model. He has certain morals and values that Bieber obviously doesn't. But I'm not saying that Bieber's a bad person, I'm just saying ... (more »)

Katie C replied...
Jan. 14, 2011 at 4:33 pm :
Sorry if I was unclear, I wasn't trying to say that David is going to be another Chris Brown. What I ment was, unless you know him and are close to him, you can't really know the real David. Same deal with Britney Spears. Noone knows the real her because of the stupid pa paparazzi. They do stories on tons of people, but even their biggest fans don't know every single detail. I guess what I was really trying to say is that the comparison isn't fair in the sense that David is an adult and Justin i... (more »)

Jan. 14, 2011 at 4:58 pm :
Well while that is true, there have been many stories from people close to David who say that what you see is what you get. I'm not a Bieber fan either, so I don't know, maybe there are good stories about him too. But this wasn't really about what either of them do when they're out of the spotlight. As of right now, Bieber seems to do reckless things while David doesn't, which is why he would be the better role model. And swearing is a matter of opinion, but if you thought of it this way: You wo... (more »)

Mar. 10, 2011 at 5:15 pm :
I completely agree with you, aaletta