The Angel’s Heart | Teen Ink

The Angel’s Heart

Fiction

The Angel’s Heart

There once was a girl who had been betrayed by her best friend. Her heart was broken and she could not trust anyone.

There once was a girl in a hospital, with an incomplete body. The doctors said she would not live to be seven, then ten, then twelve. Finally they stopped guessing. The girl thought she was a burden on the world and wished for death.

One night, the girl with an incomplete body went to the abandon church across the street from the hospital. In front of a large statue she prayed for death. That same night the girl with a broken heart went to the church to climb among the old statues. The girl with an incomplete body stared up at the top of the statue and prayed for God to send her an angel to take her away. Just then the full moon broke through the clouds and illuminated the girl with the broken heart, who had just climbed over the top of the statue. The girl with an incomplete body cried, “An angel!” The angel looked around, then jumped to the ground.

“Where?” she said. “I don’t see an angel.” The girl with an incomplete body didn’t say anything, thinking it was odd that the angel was asking where the angel was. They talked for a while, and enjoyed each other’s company. So they met the next day and the next, over the weeks they became close friends. One night, about two months after they had met, the girl with a broken heart was talking about what she wanted to be when she grew up.

“I’m going to be a reporter.” she said. “One of the most famous in the world, what about you? What do you want to be?” The girl with an incomplete body smiled.

“I don’t have to worry about that, Angel.” she said. “I’m going to die before I grow up.” The girl with a broken heart slid down the statue and slapped her across the face. The girl with an incomplete body looked shocked.

“Never say that again.” the girl with a broken heart commanded. “You are going to grow up. Now what are you going to be when you do?” The girl with an incomplete heart looked at her hands and smiled. What a strange thing for an angel of death to say.

“A singer, Angel.” she said quietly.

“And stop calling me that.” she said. “We’ll be a great team. The best reporter and the best singer.” She smiled.

One day the girl with a broken heart wondered why the girl with an incomplete body was in the hospital. She knew she was sick and could die, but not what of. So she went to the hospital and found out that the girl with an incomplete body needed a heart and was low on the list. She put her hand to her own heart and listened to it beat.

Weeks went by then months and the girl with a broken heart began to heal though her relationship with the girl with an incomplete body, but inside she was still hurting. Then, one night she had a nightmare. In it she died. When she woke up she wrote that she left her heart to the girl with an incomplete body. Later that day, the very girl who first betrayed the girl with a broken heart, stepped into the street just as a car sped around the corner. The girl with a broken heart pushed her out of the way, and the car hit her instead.

The girl with an incomplete body was in the lobby when they brought her in. The moment she recognized her friend she pushed her way to her. The girl with a broken heart’s eyes focused on her. She grabbed her hand.

“Live…” she said. “Promise me…”
“I-I promise.” the girl with an incomplete body said. “You too. Promise…” The girl with a broken heart just smiled gently, and closed her eyes. There was a continuous beep from the monitor, and she was gone.

Four years later, the girl with a complete body was the biggest thing. Her hit song, An Angel’s Heart's Beating in My Chest, was number one on every station. As she prepared to meet the media she remembered the girl who wanted nothing more then to be a reporter. Outside lights flashed in her face. It was a misty morning, and she could see an old abandon church across the road. The she saw her on the outskirts of the reporters, a girl in jeans and a t-shirt. The girl with a mended heart smiled gently. Through her tears the girl with a complete body saw her turn and walk through the mist to the abandon church. As she stood in the doorway she turned back to the girl with a complete body. A breeze flowed through the door towards her, carrying on it a message,
“I will always be with you…” it said, in rustling tones. The girl with the mended heart smiled again, turned, and faded in to the mist.