Beauty Staring Back at You | Teen Ink

Beauty Staring Back at You

By ReneetheGreat PLATINUM, Castle Rock, Colorado
ReneetheGreat PLATINUM, Castle Rock, Colorado

"Strength does not come from physical capacity, but from an indomitable will."

Walking down the street, she commands an air of confidence- shoulders back, head held high, one foot in front of the other as impossible is not in her vocabulary. You cannot help but to stop and look. This is a woman confident in who she is. Looking at her, it is obvious that today, she feels beautiful. And after taking a second glance, you see her beauty too. Now, instead of seeing her un-plucked eyebrows, or her big forehead, or her pointy nose, you see the way that the sunlight dances off her hair, and the slight smirk that spreads across her face, illuminating her rosy cheeks, and the way that her eyes sparkle, radiating a happiness that comes from within. Beauty is more than what meets the eye. Sometimes, its hidden far beneath the surface, in your heart. Maybe she isn’t a Cover girl, or a Vogue model, but one morning she woke up and decided to embrace her beauty. She knows that she is beautiful, not because of the perfect skin, or the perfect nose, or the perfect body- but because hidden beneath the un-plucked eyebrows, the big forehead, and the pointy nose is a girl who loves to make people smile, lives to give more than she takes, and is rooted in the belief that God created her to be a girl of compassion and love, a girl who one day would spread His light to the world. This is the beauty that you see, and looking around, you notice that other people see it too. Being beautiful isn’t just having the perfect DNA, its discovering how to channel the beauty that lies within our hearts- the things we do and love that make us who we are. We are not truly beautiful until we summon the courage to look beyond the mirror and express the beauty that has been lying dormant while we looked for it in all the wrong places. It is this beauty that has the power to change the definition and allow others to see that she is beautiful inside and out. She too, had noticed that other people saw her as a different definition of beautiful and, with a touch of satisfaction, she smiled. It was a smile of victory. She could conquer the world, for she had already staged a battle against the tears, the lies, the hurt hidden in the belief that she wasn’t beautiful, and she had won. “ Look at her,” you thought to yourself. “ That is a woman to admire.” Taking one last glance at her, you saw that she was staring back at you. Stepping away from the window, where the sun had revealed a striking reflection, you put one foot in front of the other and set off to do the impossible.

on Feb. 22 2010 at 6:05 pm
Inkspired PLATINUM, Whitby, Other

"If one will scoff at the study of language, how, save in terms of language, will one scoff?" - Mario Pei
"I write for the same reason I breathe - because if I didn't, I would die." Isaac Asimov

I wish I could be so confident! But this is a wonderful piece, and I love the surprise ending!