Revenge of the Nerds

“Geek!” “Nerd!” “Freak!” Can you think of any other lingo associated with science fair project winners?

As long as science fairs have existed, there have been students who have gotten excited about their subject and have excelled in their projects. Nevertheless, along with these successes, comes somewhat of an unflattering, and undeserved reputation.

However, surprisingly, the “nerds” seem to be becoming the majority. They may be getting the upper hand. Every year, there are thousands—literally thousands—of students that participate in their state’s science fair all over the nation.

Now, this is not a “Nerd Convention,” however. It is extremely prestigious, as only the top projects of each county are able to participate.

The benefits are plenty. In California, participants are competing for over $50,000 in awards. Just think, for a second, what you can buy with $50,000. Let your mind cultivate the possibilities. It is nice, huh? With the awards comes recognition, admittance to great colleges, and better opportunities.

Now that is exciting. With these perks, I can get past the derision and mockery.

Moreover, this year, I was able to take part in this notable event. Along with my partner, my brother, I was selected, along with five others, to go to the California State Science Fair. This was my fourth year participating at the State level, and every year is increasingly productive and enjoyable.

I realize I have to face the truth, that I am just one of those students that kids call a “geek” and a “nerd”. In the end, though, I am okay with that because I know that a nerd is someone who is just passionate and involved in something.

If you think about it, by that definition, we are all nerds—whether you are an avid football fan, an eager shop-aholic, a devoted video gamer, or an ardent bookworm.

So, as Bill Gates once said, “Be nice to nerds. Chances are you’ll end up working for one.”

Power to the nerds.

notebookgirl said...
Mar. 14, 2010 at 5:31 pm:
loved your article! it has always bugged me how the media portrays nerds as tall skinny guys with thick glasses and bad combovers, i concider myself a nerd and i think im pretty cute lol. No, seriously, i really liked your article and i hope you do even better in the science fair next year!

Louis This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jan. 5, 2010 at 6:27 am:
Hi! I really enjoyed reading your article. I too share thes opionions you evoqued. I am currently working on a project for my Advising class in France on the stereotypes in schools, and what you wrote is exactly what i'm trying to prove. Bravo! I look forward to reading more of your work!

thepreechyteenager said...
luv luv luv ur writing, and ur photos, too!