Be You | Teen Ink

Be You

May 24, 2019
By Brooke_Goins BRONZE, Sparks, Nevada
Brooke_Goins BRONZE, Sparks, Nevada
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

What does the term “you” mean? A term that relates to someone’s entire being, entire soul, entire self. Why care? Why should anyone ever care about being their self , because in the end everyone else wants the term “you” to be a part of them. But in all honesty, this cannot be possible. “You” is the word that is determined by the person who is being called out, or placed in the spotlight. The only thing that makes up “you” is one's self. This means that no one can change this or take this identity away from them. “You” can sometimes be buried underneath piles and piles of false identity, but that’s just it, it never disappears, only is buried deeper, waiting to be lifted up through the piles. No matter how difficult it may seem to bring “you” back to the surface, it will always shine through in small ways that no one can ever cover up. So Be You.

Those who choose to constrict the true side of themselves, ultimately become miserable. The reason you may ask, is to due the simple fact that you are metaphorically caging yourself. Everyone is unique and beautiful in their own way and so it is only reasonable to assume that these differences should be lifted up instead of hidden away. “To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment” (Ralph Waldo Emerson). This simple but powerful quote relates with the how differences can be small, but they are one of the strongest determinants to individuality in the entire world. Being an individual is a great feat that should not be taken for granted by others, but should be celebrated. To be yourself, an individual in society, is no doubt rewarding, but time and time again, many have tried to silence others differences.

Overall, the true reason people try to silence others is because they fear individuality and living in the spotlight. The only way, however, that these people can ever truly get in your head is if you let them. “Besides, these people are most likely already miserable because they lack the strength to showcase their individual differences like you can” (Efap, Serge). In reality those who are trying to diminish and destroy individuality, are the ones who are weak, and full of panic. Here, it is important to remember that you have total control over how you present yourself to the world with all your glorious differences.

It is time to show the world your amazing varieties that shine all throughout. Everyone is ready for your beautiful, wonderful, and joyous characteristics that give you self identity. You can be great because I believe in you.

#BE YOU

 

 

Works Cited

Efap, Serge. "Why Its Most Important To Be Yourself." Elite Daily, 18 Jan. 2013.

"Ralph Waldo Emerson Quotes." BrainyQuote.


The author's comments:

Recently my self identity has been tested by many of my friends, trying to influence myself to their own self. In the end I wanted to write this article to show the world, real empowerment through leaving behind those negative nancies, and choosing to Be You.