Review on Gay Marriage in the U.S. | Teen Ink

Review on Gay Marriage in the U.S.

By CZ GOLD, Olympia, Washington
CZ GOLD, Olympia, Washington

the law is reason free from passion
-Aristotle

"Gay Marriage in the U.S." by Dan A. is an article describing the authors view on Gay Marriages. He respectfully disagrees and writes that he has nothing against Gay people and is fine with it. I agree with some of his points, and I admire that Dan was brave enough to share his opinion on something that many people may disagree with. However, I firmly oppose his claim. I have several friends with gay parents and I find absolutely no problem with it at all. But the author adds that he feels uncomfortable and disgusted when a gay couple performs PDA and states that he would not expose his children to that. However, I have seen many straight couples also performing PDA. I agree that I would not want my kids to be exposed to PDA but I would not want my kids to be exposed to either gay couples and straight couples doing it. Claiming that someone doing is wrong and then inferring that someone else doing the same thing is not wrong, is very debatable. The author's viewpoint does not make sense as his reasoning is off.

Dan also states that "America was built on the Constitution. I wonder what our founding fathers would say about gay marriage(s)." That is what I disagree with most. History should not be compared with present-day life. I'm also aware that several of the founding fathers owned slaves and supported discrimination. Does that mean that we should go back to America's old ways? Absolutely not. History is not something that should be repeated. I've always known my history book as a book of mistakes that should never be repeated. The greatest mistake anyone can make is repeating history. Doing things like that is setting us back many years of achievement. 

The author also includes that gay marriage is against the law and that the book should be "thrown' on the states that allow it. Some laws are meant to be broken as they will be abolished soon like the laws of segregation and disassociation. I was also born into a family that taught me to be kind and obey the law, however, some rules are meant to be broken.

Love is love no matter what gender you are. That's really as simple as it gets.

I really hope this message can get out to a lot of people.