Technology's Role Within Society | Teen Ink

Technology's Role Within Society

January 15, 2019
By Anonymous

Society has become so reliant on the resources around us, I have continually recoursed to this recurring image of what society would look like, and become if we lost our use of technology. How would people adjust to life like it was just 20 yrs ago, without the use of cell phones and communication. I can hardly remember a time growing up that my parents had to use a flip phone and had to go to each other’s houses much more often to just check on how everyone is doing. Except this question will never be answered, the constant and continuous trend of what is the next great thing for society. We have begun to use technology to make our lives easier to get things done, we are actually trying to create robots to clean our houses, and do many of our daily activities in our households.  From the short period of 2008-2012 society is exposed to a brand new perspective. All we have to do now when we have a question is ask our mini computers in our household “Hey Google” or “Alexa” and we get our answer within seconds. People have continued to incorporate these new discoveries and advancements into our daily lives. Apple, a company within the past decade, has risen to this social upcoming and overshadowed much of the profits and earnings along the sales of these new products which we as a society rely very heavily on upon. Society is advertising for new self-driving cars as well as society has the crazed dependency on needing to possess new phones, watches, and earbuds, generally speaking, one company has dominated the production of these products.

Society along with all generations are being affected by this movement. Society had provided a brand new aspect to the new lifestyle within households and families, society had broadened our way to communicate with one another yet ironically limited us to many of our 1 on 1 relationship and conversations. Lots of the time the younger generations are said to be the culprits of this new wave and a new way of life. Adults and studies suggesting these young adults are overusing the technology at hand which is limiting their overall quality of life. But honestly how can you fault these people, there entire life they have commonly only been exposed to these new features and have never had to experience what it’s like to go somewhere and not have the ability to call your parents just with the touch of a button with an item which you always carry in your pocket. Myself growing up during this time I can recall many stories of my parents explaining how when they would go places and would need to be picked up by someone, they would need to go to a pay phone and quickly scream into the phone “come pick me up 10:30” because they would only have a quick 5 seconds. A company like Apple has dominated the global use of this technology uprising and contributes to our way of life with the new upcoming of the iPhone, iPad, iwatch, and iMac. “We now have proof, if any was needed, that Apple accounts for a disproportionate amount of media space, according to research by Pew. The centre found that 15.1% of tech articles are about Apple (Kiss, Jemima. “Research: Apple Dominates Tech Coverage.”

These statistics demonstrating how we use almost all of these new items in our hose make one reflect on what do we truly want, and how much are we falling to the social tendencies forcing us to want to have these “great” new items. We make these life decisions; as we expect to acquire the best answers, thus given these consequences. We also learn about past mistakes or regrets our parents made when they were our age and we ensure that we don't make the same conflicts they had.

Technology also has created this new uprising in multiple ways businesses, and households are formed and controlled. One of the main factors for many of the millions of companies in the world is the ability to adapt and learn about these new ways of drawing customers or be heard and create a business from around the World. Technology: The application of scientific knowledge for practical purposes, especially in industry. One of the trending topics is the overwhelming difference in the information which some of these new businesses and individuals understand about ways to create business and be successful compared to some older companies which rely more heavily on what worked before will continue to work in the future. “Some of the actions of technology in business include accounting systems, management information systems, a point of sales systems, and other simpler or more complicated tools. Even the calculator is a product of technology. It is indeed unfathomable to summon the idea of going back to the days where everything was done manually, which basically means starting all over again from scratch (The Role of Technology in Business).” This statement seems so unfathomable to be true because of how within just 15 years society has made such advancement in these areas. The younger generation of teens and kids are the first generation to have technology at such an easy grasp of technology has on one's learnings and child development. There have been studies suggesting that all this technology is hurting the development of children's’ brains and many of its basic skills yet, also others have suggested that this access to technology and ability to start learning and playing games at such a young age will advance the knowledge from that individual.

Reflecting upon many situations revolving around when you are born, where you are born and who you grow up with, determines one's beliefs and purpose technology should possess in society. You find similarities towards ways of using these devices within different generations but often times reform back to their default setting which often refers back to what you are commonly exposed to and remember based on past experiences, Technology has changed the ways of everyday life and things which help you to succeed in this gigantic world, it has changed the way we have relationships in our families, as well connects to a much larger scale and the way we do business and the ways we do our jobs. This use of technology and specifically apple dominating our everyday lives, we as a society often take a back seat to what is now controlling our way of life.


The author's comments:

I am a 16-year-old high school student in Michigan. I wrote this article becuase I was curious about the impacts of technology and this craziness which has seemed to completely taken over society. I am currently in a Microeconomics class at my high school as well so I believed this article I was able to make a solid connection between the two classes.