Vanishing Diner | Teen Ink

Vanishing Diner

A diner is like a camera shutter, on site, it brings back all the good and bad times. The flashbacks, memories, and ¨that one night¨. They bring a happiness and comfort that can't be fulfilled by much more. It's a place to stop and grab a shake while in a slump. It's a whole lot of something with very close to nothing. In a technology and internet era, its a preview of shows where meeting the love of your life would always be in a diner/cafe.

It's a stereotype but a pretty realistic one. Walking into a diner and seeing that friendly cook who also makes killer burgers is the whole reason you keep coming back. It's a home away from home. Diners seem to fall behind in the food industry. Recently, they have been closing down due to urban renewal, Substantial rent, and new eating habits. In the absorbed state of New York, according to a newspaper article, there are only about half as many diners as they were 20 years ago. In the world of food, it's a sad fact. Although that's just a statistic in New York it's practically the case for most places around the United States.

Without diners, where would your grandparents take you after a heartbreaking loss on the tee ball field. The main reason these grand places are shutting down are because of the unreliable source of revenue these places are making. They don't make enough to support their storefront but they still make enough to support the actual business. Diners and restaurants that are going through this type of struggle work their tails off but in the end, the profit is just short of what they need.

The first time I stepped in a diner I just felt so warm and cozy. It's like being around your grandparents but better because of the food. One of my all time favorite diners is E´s Inn here in little old Republic, Missouri. Quite a few of the townies know about this place, it's a great place to just go and eat comfort food. I started going here with my softball team freshman year. I was sort of judgemental on this place, its old and broken down. The sign at night says In, the other letters are rusted out. The seniors on the team were overjoyed to be here, they acted like they'd eaten here their whole life. As I stepped up to the register, I was greeted by a smile while my teammates were frantically telling me what to order. I had never eaten here so it was a different feel. I ordered the corn dog meal with a chocolate shake on the side. The inside of the diner had the retro yet stylish feel. Different colored chairs and tables because it was an older place. Walking up to the counter to grab my food the worker made sure I had everything I needed and smiled with an ¨enjoy¨ as I walked back to my booth seat.

A place like E´s Inn, gets quite a bit of hype from older generations but with today's trends, it falls towards the end of the line. Without diners, things would be at a more fast moving pace. We need to remember the good times, and fight to keep great places like this open.  Memories would be hard to bring back without places full of them. A diner is a place where one smile can make all the difference.

I am Kaitlyn Anderson and I am in love with retro fanatic. I love all old time things and places. This piece was inspired because of my passion for places like diners where I can feel relaxed and at home.