Power in our Community: Students Mobilize for Gun Control in the U.S. | Teen Ink

Power in our Community: Students Mobilize for Gun Control in the U.S.

By rheakhincha BRONZE, San Jose, California
rheakhincha BRONZE, San Jose, California

School shootings in the U.S. are becoming increasingly normalized. Kids sitting in classrooms, scrolling through their social media, will barely blink while reading the tragic news. However, the school shooting at Stoneman Douglas that left 17 dead wreaked havoc everywhere. At 10:00 AM on February 14, my phone buzzed. Lifting it up to check, I gasped as I saw the headline: Florida School Shooting: 17 dead. While opening the story, I felt a growing pit in my stomach, my brain stuttering to process what I was reading. Soon, almost everybody was talking about it, students as well as teachers. It was a terrible tragedy that could have been prevented. It was also a much-needed wake-up call to everyone.

In response to this shooting, students believed they had the power to change gun control laws. Schools scheduled walkouts on the anniversary of the Columbine High School shooting on April 20. Student organizers shared an announcement stating, “Together, we will send a message that we won’t tolerate any more inaction on this issue. And if cowardly politicians fail to act, young people will show them the consequences of letting so many Americans die by voting them out in November.” By using the power of their voices, students are influencing others to not only vote but to pay attention to the news to keep politicians in check. Students believe that “There is power in our community. It is up to us to make the change.” There have been countless times in which people have tried to get their message to the world, but their limited audience made it close to impossible to effect change. However, because these kids were themselves the victims of this shooting, students have been given an elevated platform where they can spread their message. This elevated platform gives students the belief and hope that change is possible.

Direct actions, like the March for Our Lives Rally in which I participated on March 24th in Downtown San Jose, are bringing awareness and encouraging people to create solutions. The student-led march resulted in thousands of people in the streets, holding signs, standing together and saying enough is enough. Witnessing so many people come together, all fighting for the same cause, was overwhelming and powerful. The growing pit in my stomach from the first time I had heard about the shooting, slowly ebbed as the feeling of togetherness washed over me. The students leading the march inspired everybody with their passion. Their bold behavior sent the message that we, the youth, will be heard, starting the brainstorming for solutions by all groups of people. Every day in the US, children going to school face the danger of a shooting, because on average, about two dozen children are shot every day. In 2016, a total of 1637 youths were killed by gunfire. The mortal danger that students face on an everyday basis affects so many thousands of people, but it is not discussed with the urgency that is necessary to bring about change. However, this march helped bring to light these important conversations, and it raised the awareness of this issue to a national level, where it can motivate all people to join this fight.

Kids are the future of this country and, being our future, their health and wellbeing should be a priority. This topic should be at the forefront of many national discussions and should not only arise when there’s a school shooting. During the March of Our Lives, the fear and outrage that resulted from the numerous school shootings found an elevated platform through which it was broadcasted, sparking a national movement to improve gun laws by identifying politicians working with the NRA. Being a part of this movement helped me see that the students of today have voices that need to be heard which inspired me to use this chance to improve the world for the people after me.

After the deadly school shooting in Florida, I attended the student-organized March of Our Lives in San Jose, and I wanted to reflect on what I had witnessed. Students have the power to affect change nationwide.