Response to "Reverse Racism is Not Real" by Elisabeth O. | Teen Ink

Response to "Reverse Racism is Not Real" by Elisabeth O.

By Bruvton DIAMOND, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
Bruvton DIAMOND, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan

"They don't think it is what it does, but it do." ~Oscar Gamble

"Reverse Racism is Not Real" by Elizabeth O. is a very well written article which shows an interesting opinion, yet I disagree with it wholeheartedly. The fact that races are finding such excuses to justify their own race is sickening. What makes it worse is the not only the fact that that very same racism very real, but it is encouraged by being published in a magazine.  Racism (prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior) is natural for human beings. No matter who you are, where you come from, what language you speak, humans have a common similarity: Narcissism. We think that we are superior to everyone else, which happens on a collective sale between races. While in conversations about race, everyone displays this creative imaginary term tokened “white fragility”. Race is a subject that makes everyone squirm in conversations, thinking everyone else is judging them. The term “white fragility” itself is prejudicially discriminating and antagonising white people, hinting that they are inferior. Nowhere in the true definition of “racism do you see “systematic oppression”. Prejudice is not racism, but it is a part of racism. The prejudice that people of colour have against white people leads to them belittling white people, calling them inferior for not being able to keep “basic human morals”, therefore calling themselves (people of colour) superior. Racism is still going on today. Harvard University has segregated whites away from blacks in their “all-black commencement ceremony” in May of 2017. That’s blacks segregating themselves from whites to show diversity. A bit hypocritical, wouldn’t you think? Legally and socially black people have the same rights. When their peers do things to get the rights taken away from them for committing crimes, that is when the prejudistic, and as you said earlier not racist, people assume that all black people are as bad as the small amount of “rotten apples”, but do not call them inferior for their violent stereotype. The world is dominated by white culture now because it chooses to be. Americanization and globalization are what caused this, not British colonialism. The United States of America spread its influence through making its culture readily available worldwide. People noticed this change and made the conscious decision to what they thought was popular at the time. American culture is just so easy to follow, as it is now everywhere, and comes so naturally. You don’t need to benefit from being racist to be racist. In the long run, no one benefited from slavery. All of their profit was lost in the Great Depression, all of their “free work” was gone, and they got a bit of a punishment. “Dear White People” was truly a satire of how hypocritical and ignorant human beings may be. You’re saying reverse racism doesn’t exist. Newsflash: The world does not revolve around the USA. Where I live, I am a white minority. Where I’ve travelled, I have been a white minority. I have been called out in the streets for being racist. I have been belittled, discriminated against, and called inferior for being a “racist white male”. Even in Canada, where I am a white majority, I get belittled and discriminated against for a racism they imagine me to have. Racism is part of society, there are people that we cannot change. This is not “white people” and “coloured people”, those are prejudistic generalizations. It’s “racist white people” and “racist coloured people”, leaving out the non-racists. White people have it easy in the law because, frankly, we don’t have a stereotype for being violent. Yes, that stereotype is terrible, yet it is there, and it’s not racist according to your terms. It’s prejudistic. It’s using a stereotype to judge a whole group. In order for one to be racist, basic humanity is key. Black people as a whole are not oppressed. You are getting more of a voice than I am. I will be called racist and shunned by Teen Ink for being a white male, you will be praised and published for talking about how inferior I am. Who is being oppressed now? But you are right. Reverse racism doesn’t exist. It’s just called racism, no matter who it’s against and who’s being racist. Feel free to comment on this with any other arguments.

The world is becoming a painful place to live in.