Wonder | Teen Ink

Wonder

By joygilbert BRONZE, Dexter, New Hampshire
joygilbert BRONZE, Dexter, New Hampshire

As a society we are so  judgmental toward other people. We like to judge on the outside of a person like what a person wear, how they have their hair, by how they talk ,by how they look. But for some kids this is devastating to them. Its devastating because they feel like they have stay home. Because if they go out there's  going to be wondering eyes looking at them once they look, they look again because the person looking at them can’t wrap their head around the fact that they look different. But in reality they're just normal people like you and me and they have dreams and goals in life. The “people” i'm talking about are kids born with Syndrome. Most importantly Craniofacial disorder.

There are so many different types of syndrome but the most common to see or pick out is craniofacial disorder. Craniofacial disorder refers to face and/ or the head. There are at least 21 different types of craniofacial disorder.(ccakids) The most common types of craniofacial is cleft lip, cleft palate,craniosynostosis,hemifacial, hemangioma.(rocherst)

Cleft lip and/or cleft palate. A separation that happens in the lip or the palate (roof of the mouth), or both. Cleft lip and cleft palate are the most common congenital craniofacial anomalies seen at birth.
Craniosynostosis- when the infant soft spot on their skull closes to early. This cause problems with brain growth in the body skull.(emedicine)
Hemifacial- when tissue of one side of the face underdeveloped causing problems with the ear, mouth, and jaw. Sometime effect both side of the face.
Hemangioma- abnormal growth of blood vessels of the skin. Found in the first couple months of birth.

Movie “wonder”
One of the most uncommon type of Craniofacial disorder is treacher collins syndrome. Treacher collins syndrome is when the cheekbones and jawline are underdeveloped. The movie “wonder” has a fictional boy that has this disease. The boy in the movie is name Aggie. Aggie has been homeschooled all the way up to the fifth grade. The reason why is because all the surgeries that he has gone through. To be exact he had 27 sugars.And some times that the easy part for the kid the hardest part is going out public and letting people see them. The movie shows Aggie get bullied but also create new friendship along the way. The movie tagline #choose kind. Fit perfectly because people should not treat other people with respect and kindness.
The movie “wonder” came from the book name wonder. The Author  Raquel J. Palacio. The book was so uplifting. And kids fell instantly in love. The book and movie has change so many life and given hope to many kids.
One kid instance is Shane Vysocky. Shane life fits into the storyline of wonder. Shane has had many surgeries. When shane went to first grade he brought his CT to school because he wasn't the explain halo on his head. Shane had many question from his classmate but was able to answer them. Shane has had to deal with bullying but shane mom said that parents without facial different can have conversation about interaction with people that might not look the same as them.(CNN)

Another kid that wonder help was Emily. Emily was born with skin tags around both ears and no jaw mandible , which makes it difficult for her to hear and eat. Emily favorite holiday is halloween because she feel normal. In the movie Aggie say that his favorite holiday is halloween because he can put on a mask and be just like a normal kid. Emily doesn't like other holiday because it's based on food. Emily can't eat normally she use a feed tube which mean all of her food need to be liquid in order for her to have it. But after reading wonder Emily has the courage to go outside and tell people about her condition.

My Face is an organization to help raise money for families with surgery also more information about Facial disorders.

Health and human services can be connected to the movie wonder because it deals with real life people and what they can go through and not all the time families can do spend a lot of money on sugars because  they can’t afford it so sometime the government step in and help out.

Health and human services can be connected to the movie wonder because it deals with real life people and what they can go through and not all the time families can do spend a lot of money on sugars because they can’t afford it so sometime the government step in and help out.

This topic has changed how i think and treat others. Don't just judge a person on their outside appearance because you're not getting the full story. Choose to be a better person and be nice to other people.

it wonderful