Open Letter to the KKK | Teen Ink

Open Letter to the KKK

November 27, 2017
By Hward BRONZE, Richmond, Virginia
Hward BRONZE, Richmond, Virginia
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Dear Klu Klux Klan,


I live in Richmond, Virginia. I live in a city that is notorious for segregation and racism. The capital of the Confederacy. One of the main slave markets of the time.


But times have changed. We, as a community, have pushed forward for human rights, and you have pushed back. We are Sisyphus trying to recover from our mistakes and walk up the hill to the peak of equality, and you, are the boulder holding us back.


Why?
Why do you think that you are better than people because of the color of their skin? Does it make you feel special? Because nobody thinks you are superior than anybody. To me,  you are horrible people who are the lowest of the low in society.

One of the best friends I have ever had was African-American, and he was no different from you or me. So why in your eyes is he worse than you. That needs to change, your influence is shrinking, and I think the world is glad.

Klu Klux Klan, this is directed at you. Remember when one of your supporters walked into an African American church and shot nine people?


Well, later the families of the dead people publicly forgave him. I would not be able to, and could not be able to find it in my heart to forgive him, but they believe that everyone is forgiven in the eyes of god.

If an African-American had shot nine white people then you would have been screaming bloody murder. This just shows how they have suffered, and continue to gain equality peacefully.


I know that I have been very dramatic, but this is a problem everywhere you go. I do not live in a very nice neighborhood; however, I go to a very nice school. After comparing and contrasting I have seen how all of my classmates have some really nice things, and live in some really nice neighborhoods. But not everybody lives that way. According to Business Insider African Americans have the lowest average salary in America at 33,000 dollars a year-- this is due to racial stereotypes, and bias influenced by you. This leads to them having to live in worse neighborhoods, with worse schools, that repeats a vicious cycle. But that does not make them bad people.

So I want you to find an African American person and talk to them and see if they are stupid, or inferior to you.

I bet that you will not find any differences, and that there is nothing wrong with them. So I ask you to change your ways. It is not too late to do the right thing.


Sincerely,
Hutton W.


The author's comments:

Why is somebody worse than you because they have a different color skin