A Young Girl | Teen Ink

A Young Girl

October 3, 2017
By Anonymous

A young girl in a red, white, and blue dress holds ice cream while it drips down a crispy waffle cone. The smell of tangy barbecue wafts through the air. White chipped lawn chairs are scattered roadside. School bands play and wave American colors. Pride for America is undeniably present.


A young girl in a red, white and blue dress looks up at her veteran grandpa, seeing eyes become glossy as he looks at the POW/MIA flags. She wonders what could have been. Time passes and crowds grow silent. Hats come off. POW/MIA groups march through the thick atmosphere, attracting eyes and pulling hearts. Families comfort. They remember. His sacrifices are undeniably present.


A young girl in a red, white and blue dress explores her backyard. She stays out until her knees are caked with dirt and a golden haze casts itself over the sky. She walks, runs, and laughs on free soil, not realizing how many people sacrificed their life so she could do so. Her freedom is undeniably present.


A young girl in a red, white and blue dress transforms into a woman in white, holding hands with another bride. America’s freedom beams from the audience, accepting any type of love. She smiles proudly as the last vows are said. People clap. The pursuit of happiness is undeniably present.


This young girl all throughout her life has been doing things that are only possible because of America’s freedom. She may not have realized she took those things for granted when she was younger. Now, she recognizes that and her patriotism for America is undeniably present.