Wage Discrimination | Teen Ink

Wage Discrimination

By achaulk BRONZE, Marlborough, Massachusetts
achaulk BRONZE, Marlborough, Massachusetts

DId you know ?  In the past, men had greater levels of both education and experience than women. My problem is how men get paid more than women. Because we would work the same jobs same times same exact things and men get an a average of 4% more cash than women at work. To me I think that is a disgrace how women and men don't  equal rights. Just because we are a different sex shouldn't change anything. Say Veronica and Kevin were both working at a construction zone Veronica would get $69,000 a year and Kevin would get $70,000 a year.

Why would men get payed more a year than women for the same exact job? I did some reasearch and found many articles about “Men should be payed more”. Which makes no sense because for the same job why are men getting payed more ???I also found out while i was doing my research that every Dollar that a male is making a female is making $0.77. When you count up all that change can make a huge difference. And can affect everything in that woman's life .what if she's a single mother ? What if she has lots of bills to pay ?  So do you think men should be payed more than woman? It's crazy that  women make .77 cents to every dollar that a man makes . For doing the same job, and that single hard working mothers will have difficulty  providing their family . There are many articles  as to why women are paid less than men, and there are many ways people rationalize paying men Choice of job is another big reason for the wage gap. Also another huge cause in the wage gap is religion , beliefs, race. Its insane how some things that make you unique and make you ,you could cause you to get payed less.One reason often given for pay inequality is called “the motherhood penalty”. It is one of the more obvious reasons for the wage gap. Becoming a mother usually involves taking more time off work. An article taken  from the New York Times, Eduardo Porter states that, “There are policies in place that could help diminish women’s pay deficit by increasing flexibility in the workplace and easing a woman's family burden.”  I think this is crazy because  women take days off for serious reasons so they get payed less

Jennifer lawrence found How about the wage gap between her and her coworkers through the leak of Sony the company she did the movie for and she was very unhappy when she found out about his wage gap about how they were doing the same exact job and  Herman co-stars are receiving more money than she was for the same job. and she does not agree with this  just because of a woman's heritage and her sex should not change the way she gets payed.If a man and woman do the same exact work they should be payed the same amount of cash. she made %7 of the american hussels profit while her males made 9%. So that  is an example of her reasoning for her “fight” against equal pay .“it's hard for me to speak about my experience as a working woman because I can safely say my problems aren't exactly relatable. When the Sony hack happened and I found out how much less I was being paid than the lucky males I didn't get mad at Sony. I got mad at myself," Lawrence explained”

You might believe that gender and race has nothing to do with getting paid less but it does the statistics that go with my point say otherwise .  And if you believe that woman pick less paying jobs you are incorrect.Woman of any race or religion get paid less than a many of any race or religion. Men also feel the pain of wage discrimination  because of the race and religion but women feel the pain worse. And there is nothing you can do on your own to fix this this is something  we all have to come together and fix the problem of wage discrimination.
There are even lawsuits with businesses such as Walmart , facebook, twitter , abercrombie and fitch.

So yes women are getting paid less that is a fact that i wish  was a lie. But if no one speaks up about problems and doesn't stand for what they want to change nothing will change. “did you know that in 2015, women working full time in the United States typically were paid just 80 percent of what men were paid, a gap of 20 percent? While the number has gone up one percentage point from 2014, the change isn’t statistically significant — because the increase is so small, mere tenths of a percent, it doesn’t amount to perceptible change” - The Simple Truth about the Gender Pay Gap (Spring 2017) . This proves that people know and are aware of the wage gap but since it's not such a significant gap there not paying lots of attention and focus on it. But it adds up and needs to be fixed. And  if you still contradict what if it was free pizza day and all the girl and woman got the same size slice and all the men and boys only got ¾  of a slice compared to the girls how would you feel. This is kind of a metaphor to how the pizza represents your income , how would you feel you would feel like it's unfair.

Although  that woman getting paid less than men is a true bad topic that we need the government to stop wage discrimination. Because t a wage gap shouldn't be our main focus with all of the bad things currently going on we should have our focus on that .

I have always been passionate about the wage gap and how women treated poorly compared to men.