Take it Down | Teen Ink

Take it Down

By Ali_The_Great BRONZE, Fairview, Tennessee
Ali_The_Great BRONZE, Fairview, Tennessee

Harriet Tubman was an amazing human being. She did so much for the Civil Rights movement, and did not stop when slavery was abolished. No, she wanted to take it further. It is because of people like Harriet Tubman, that I believe the world has some good people.

Harriet Tubman was a girl born to two slaves, and in turn, she was also a slave. Put yourself in her position. She started working at age five. She was shunned upon and laughed at by the other race. What did she do to deserve this? Nothing. She did nothing. It was the confederates who did something. They took in millions of people just like Tubman, and enslaved them. Their interest in slaves was only African-Americans. They did nothing to deserve that harsh environment.

No, the southerners got too lazy and said "Hey, we should make people do our work for us." To me, this is a painful reminder of the Holocaust, which when mentioned can make hell raise and heaven fall. The confederates ruined the African American's lives. Gave them no pay for the suffrage they went through. The bare minimum of food, while the slave owners sat inside and did nothing. How disgusting. If you fly a confederate flag I hope this paragraph has hoped you see what that represents. You make me sick. Get out of America, you don't belong here. If you fly that flag you represent hate, not the southern heritage you claim to hold so dearly.

That flag represents a separate country that split from the United States. They did not like being American. That makes me sick. You do not deserve to live in America. You may say the flag was meant to rid of the mistakes that the confederates made, to remind us of their wrong doing and hope it does not repeat itself. If you went to Germany do you think you would find Nazi flags flying to remind them of their sin? I think not. So, in conclusion, I say, Take the Flag Down. I quote Tupac Shakur, 'We gotta make a change...

It's Time for us as a people to start making changes.
Let's change the way we eat, let's change the way we live,
and let's change the way we treat each other
You see, the old way wasn't working, so it's on us to do what we got to do to survive.'

To me, this quote means let's stop all the hate, let's all love each other, and never change from there. Let's all respect each other, regardless of race, size, gender, ethnic background, etcetera. To all you confederates, think about this. I dont care about the fact that I didn't complete the task at hand, I just hope I got a message across to at least one person. One person is all it takes.

Love everyone. Never hate. Just throw up two fingers. Peace is beautiful.