The Transgender Situation | Teen Ink

The Transgender Situation

By maddie444 BRONZE, Eat Hampton, New York
maddie444 BRONZE, Eat Hampton, New York

It's always been a subject I've had a difficult time getting my head around, and I know I'm not the only one. We've got a long way to go in learning to accept those wanting to change their gender or who identify with another gender.

A few people in my family happen to be gay, and there are many people in my family who don’t accept them. When I was younger, I didn’t know better so I would believe in whatever my family believed in. When I was around 12 years old I started to realize that what my family members were saying wasn’t right.

It hurt me to hear that my own uncle resented his child due to the fact that he was gay. It hurt to know that just because my cousin was gay his own father didn’t want anything to do with him. It also hurt me to know that my grandparents thought that it wasn’t right that I was thinking this way.

I’ve never felt the need to make others feel like complete crap over their sexuality, like my grandparents. When I told my grandparents that I didn’t have a problem with transexulas, gays, or lesbian people,  I was told that I better not be anyone of those, but my Mother's reaction was a reaction I think someone who was coming out about their sexuality should hear, but in this case, I was not.

My mother had told me that she wouldn’t care if I was a lesbian, or bisexual, or even transgendered. None of that mattered because I would always be her child. My sexuality would never matter to my mother, but when she asked me if I was having these thoughts or feelings, I knew I wasn’t, but I did know that if I ever had to tell my mother I was, she wouldn’t care, she would love me no matter what.

I wish that other parents could accept their children no matter their sexuality. It shouldn’t matter. They will always be your child, and they won’t be a completely different person. They aren’t going anywhere. Learn to accept them, because they would accept you.