The F Word | Teen Ink

The F Word

By Sophie Gragg BRONZE, Rancho Palos Verdes, California
Sophie Gragg BRONZE, Rancho Palos Verdes, California

Feminism. The big F word. The misinterpreted word that has sparked controversy all throughout history and to this day sparks discussion. The word that some consider “offensive” and “aggressive”, because what’s more offensive than wanting equal rights and treatment regardless of gender?

The definition of the big F word is the advocacy of women's rights on the grounds of political, social, and economic equality to men. In simple terms: equality for women too. While the definition may be simple and promote a fair cause, 80% of people do not identify as a feminist. Whether or not all the individuals truly believe women are less than men, many people have a misconception of what it means to support the big F word.

The truth is, feminism is no trick. Feminists do support sexism and understand with equal rights comes responsibilities. Feminists believe it’s finally time women earn the same pay as men, because earning 78 cents for every dollar a man earns is not cutting it. Feminists believe women deserve to have their voice heard in the political scene, because 5 men for every woman in congress is not cutting it. Feminists believe women deserve the chance to lead and take charge, because 4.6 percent of companies with a female leader is not cutting it. Feminists believe a woman is in charge of her body and she should make the decisions when it comes to her, because the 468+ bills restricting women’s health and access to reproductive rights that have been proposed are not cutting it.

Across the globe women are mistreated just because of their gender. There is no good reason our society should not come together and promote feminism. Many of those suffering can’t even stand up for themselves simply because they are a woman.

The facts don’t lie. Supporters of the big F word don’t hate men, and don’t believe women are superior. If you support gender equality, then you support feminism, and there’s no loop hole to that. Our society’s misconception of feminism has swayed people away from identifying as a feminist and it must change.

We should all proudly identify as a feminist. Believing in gender equality isn’t shameful, so identifying as a feminist shouldn’t be either.

We need feminism and we need it now.

1 Swanson, Emily. "Poll: Few Identify As Feminists, But Most Believe In Equality Of Sexes." The Huffington Post. TheHuffingtonPost.com, 16 Apr. 2013. page 1

2 Rozario, T. De. "11 Myths and Facts about Feminism." Aware. Aware, 26 Feb. 2010. page 2

3 11 Facts About Feminism." 11 Facts About Feminism. DoSomething, n.d. Web. 22 Apr. 2015. page 2

4 “10 Stats on Women's Equality That Might Be Scarier than Halloween." AAUW Empowering   Women Since 1881 10 Stats on Women’s Equality That Might Be Scarier than Halloween  Comments. AAUW, 29 Oct. 2014. page 1

5 ibd. page 2

6 ibd. page 3