One Death... No Consequences | Teen Ink

One Death... No Consequences

March 19, 2015
By Anonymous

If you do not want to get raped, men all around India suggest you should be inside your house by 8:30. Another suggestion coming from men is that you should not be wearing short clothes because they apparently give men “a reason to teach you a lesson” (Delhi Rape). Consequences of being out later than 8:30 are gang rape, kidnapping and trafficking. Events like these have been in the headlines for the past few days and all men involved are awaiting trial but they are blaming the women for what happened. These gang rapes are completely disgusting and absurd, treating women as objects and animals.


These events have shaken the whole world. Recently a five-year-old was raped and was left to die. As they interviewed the rapist and they asked him to show the height of the girl, he stood up, smiling, and put his hand next to his hip. Then, when they talked to him about it he said, “She was a beggar girl. Her life was of no value” (Delhi Rape). This statement is shocking and horrific, showing that women, especially poor women, are considered trash. They are used like objects for men with needs.


Last year one headline shocked me. It sparked thoughts in my mind about how horrifying rape is. It was the breaking news about a gang rape on a bus. Six men raped a 23-year-old girl  who was on her way home from the cinema. They beat her and one man even pulled out her intestines! Is this even considered human anymore? In my opinion, this is horrific, absurd, and absolutely disgusting. Treating a woman like a bag of dirt and then murdering her for pleasure should not be tolerated. Instead, the judge that is in charge of the rapist trial is also blaming the woman. He said that, “"If my daughter or sister engaged in premarital activities and disgraced herself and allowed herself to lose face and character by doing such things, I would most certainly take this sort of sister or daughter to my farmhouse, and in front of my entire family, I would put petrol on her and set her alight” (Delhi Rape). This is a horrific statement from the judge which shows that even he sees that it is the woman’s fault.


Events like these need to stop. Blaming women for what men did should not be tolerated anymore. Sadly, the number of rape victims increases every day and the number of sentenced rapists, oddly, decreases. Since most judges are male, they take sides with the rapists, making unfair decisions. Awareness for rape should be spread and these disgusting events need to stop happening!